cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShockWave
Regular Visitor

How to automatically fill columns with sql data using the product number

Hi, I have a problem because I created a canvas app using dataverse. In the application, I enter the product number, and with this number, I would like to find the item in the SQL database and complete the rest of the information about this product, such as date, person, etc.
Is it possible and how could I do it?

5 REPLIES 5
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@ShockWave 

Sure, you can use a LookUp to get the record from the SQL table that you want and then reference the values in that for your DataVerse record through a Patch or an Update(If) or, in a Form.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

@RandyHayes Thanks, and do you have an example of a formula made like this?

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@ShockWave 

Well, it's not so much of a formula as it is a design.

How are users selecting records?  Then how are they using that for another record?  Or is this something that should happen in line with something else that is being modified? 

So many questions - that's why it's not just a formula but a process.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

@RandyHayes The user enters the product number into the form and I would like to use this product number to pull the data from sql and complete the rest of the data in the form such as the date of delivery, the person who bought the product, etc. that are assigned to a given product number in the sql database.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@ShockWave 

Yes, so the key to that was the Form.

If you have a specific product selection process in your form, then that would provide the source of the data for the other columns.

The next question would be, how would you have the user enter a product - by dropdown, combobox, hand typed, etc?

Each has a process then for getting the information.  However in the case of a Form, the easiest to describe is to have your selection control set a variable to use for the source of all the other columns.

Example...if you have a Dropdown to select the Product, and that dropdown had an Items property to get Items from your DataVerse, then in places like Date of Delivery (assuming a DatePicker), you would set the DefaultDate to: Coalesce(Parent.Default, yourDropDown.Selected.DateOfDelivery)

Of course the above is just generic, it would be specific to your condition.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Carousel_PP_768x460_Wave2 (1).png

2022 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2022 through March 2023.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,311)