Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EliasMerabet
Advocate II
Advocate II

How to build a Power APP that shares Excel File

Hello Team,

I am quite newbie in power app. Sorry for any inconvenience I could cause.

I have been developing my first power app program and I connect it to an excel file (store in my one drive). I used One Drive connector, One Drive for Business connector and Excel connector ti connect program to the file. But any change I made in the excel file doesn´t appear in the program side. It looks like there is an internal copy of the excel and the program works on it.

This should be a problem if I need to add a record to my excel file from outside and watch it inside my program. For example, using the program by two users. Changes for one, must to appear in the second one as well.

How can I connect to this excel file in the way any change I do in the excel (outside of the program) can be reflected inside the program?

Thanks

Best regards

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EliasMerabet
Advocate II
Advocate II

Solved.

The excel file can not be in use. Close all open instances of the excel file and re-run the power app program again.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@EliasMerabet 

How did you create your app?  You might want to try creating an app by selecting "Start from Data" and then "Excel Online"  This will give you a fully functional app where you can see an example of how to save your data back to the Excel file.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
EliasMerabet
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi @ScottShearer ,

Thanks for your response. My original app was made from a "Canvas app from blank", and then I established the connection using methods I told you in post before. When I change the excel file outside of the power app program, the changes doesn´t appear inside the program. If I change the excel inside the program, I can manage the changes inside the program but outside of it doesn´t appear in the excel file.

This should be a problem if I need to add a record to my excel file from outside and watch it inside my program. For example, using the program by two users. Changes for one, must to appear in the second one as well.

I tried, as well, "Start from Data" and then "Excel Online" as you said but it happened the same.

Best regards

EliasMerabet
Advocate II
Advocate II

Solved.

The excel file can not be in use. Close all open instances of the excel file and re-run the power app program again.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,763)