cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper III
Helper III

How to change Text box to Combo Box/ Dropdown

Hi All,

I am creating a Power App and my data source is Sharepoint List.

While creating columns in Sharepoint we will have By Default First column named as "Id". In Power Apps i am trying to put that Id column in Dropdown/ComboBox but unfortunately it is coming in Text box form. 

How to change text box to Dropdown/Combo Box.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Prakash

Regards,

Prakash M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @prakash_Mathi 

I assume you are trying to change the control in an edit form from a textbox to a dropdown. To do that you can hide the textbox control and put a dropdown inside the card.  Make the data source of the dropdown the same as the data source for the form.  Make the Default property of the dropdown, Parent.Default.  Change the value in the upper right corner to the field name you want to show in the dropdown control. Screenshot 2020-12-02 075334.png

Finally, click on the card containing the dropdown and go to the Update property and change it from the name of the textbox control to the name of the dropdown control as follows:  Dropdown1.Selected.ID so that it will save it.   

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @prakash_Mathi 

I assume you are trying to change the control in an edit form from a textbox to a dropdown. To do that you can hide the textbox control and put a dropdown inside the card.  Make the data source of the dropdown the same as the data source for the form.  Make the Default property of the dropdown, Parent.Default.  Change the value in the upper right corner to the field name you want to show in the dropdown control. Screenshot 2020-12-02 075334.png

Finally, click on the card containing the dropdown and go to the Update property and change it from the name of the textbox control to the name of the dropdown control as follows:  Dropdown1.Selected.ID so that it will save it.   

View solution in original post

Hi @Drrickryp ,

Absolutely!! I was trying to change the control in an edit form from a textbox to a dropdown. 

I followed your steps but unfortunately i got stuck in last 2 lines.

I clicked on the card containing the dropdown but i am not sure where is Update Property.

Could you please provide detail explanation on this point? Or any reference url/blog url for such scenarios.

Regards,

Prakash

Hi @prakash_Mathi 

If you look on the bottom of the screen, it will show you the breadcrumbs leading to the control and the card containing it.  Once you have the card selected, look for the Update property in the dropdown on the upper left corner next to the formula bar._Screenshot 2020-12-02 102006.png

_Screenshot 2020-12-02 102006.png

Hi @Drrickryp ,

Unfortunately "Update" property is not showing up for that card at the top left.

Not sure why it is not showing.

Regards,

Prakash

Hi @Drrickryp ,

Instead of that last step, by selecting the card i changed my Display mode from View to Edit and now it seems like i got the required Dropdown.

I am not sure "change it from the name of the textbox control to the name of the dropdown control as follows:  Dropdown1.Selected.ID " where to perform this but i think i got the output and hopefully it should work correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Prakash

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (59,741)