cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg27
Super User
Super User

How to change and assign values and display values in fields

OnStart of my app, I am checking to see if the current user is part of one of three security groups. Depending on which security group they are a part of will determine which fields are editable or viewable and what will be displayed in a specific text field. For example... If I look up the current user, I check to see if they are in a traditional undergrad student security group in Azure AD. If they are, I want to change the Student's email field to be view only. I would like to grab the name and email address from Azure AD and populate those fields.

If the current user is in the Staff security group in Azure AD, then I want the email address field to be editable, allow them to enter a student's email, and look the user up by email address in Azure AD and grab the student's name and populate the Student's Name field with it.

31 REPLIES 31

So, let's say that I want to set 3 variables, one varStafforStu, varStuName and one varStuEmail, how would I set those variables in the OnStart command if I use the statement:

If(User().Email in Concat(AzureAD.GetGroupMembers("StaffGroupID").value,mail), ........, .......)

So, if this statement is true, I would want to set the following:

varStafforStu="Staff"

varStuName=""

varStuEmail=""

If the statement is false, I would want to set the following:

varStafforStu="Student"

varStuName=User().displayName

varStuEmail=User().Email

I would want to set the variables where I used "......." above, but how do I do multiple commands within the statement?

You can use this syntax in a behavior property (property name starts with "On"):

If(User().Email in Concat(AzureAD.GetGroupMembers("StaffGroupID").value,mail),
    Set(varStafforStu, "Staff");
    Set(varStuName, "");
    Set(varStuEmail, "");
    Set(varStafforStu, "Student");
    Set(varStuName, User().displayName);
    Set(varStuEmail, User().Email);
)

Also, consider replacing varStafforStu with a simpler boolean variable of varStaff, which can equal true or false. Boolean values such as this are handier in conditions e.g. If(varStaff,... and less prone to errors due to changes or typing. Keeping variable as small in number as practical is also a good thing for code maintainability.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.

I am following your advice and set the variable varStafforStu to a boolean. However, In my OnStart of the app statement, I am getting the red underline for the following:

Set(varStudentName, User().displayName)

and

Set(varStudentName, "")

All of my other Set() statements are fine. If I change the 2nd statement to something other than varStudentName, the red line goes away for that Set() statement, but if I change the first Set() statement to the same variable as the 2nd one, both get the red underline again.

Oops, I missed something: User().displayName should be replaced with User().FullName. Try that and at least some of the errors should go away.

Bryan

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.

That worked. Why FullName instead of displayName?

@Greg27 wrote:

That worked. Why FullName instead of displayName?

Because the documentation says so 🙂

Get used to going to the documentation to look up syntax and little wrinkles like this. Microsoft keeps it up to date as changes are made to the platform. Your memory is good, but referring to docs.microsoft.com is better. I ALWAYS go there when I am working with a connector I haven't seen in a while and it saves me a bunch of stress.

Have we got your situation all figured out?

Bryan

One last thing. You mentioned setting a variable to a field's Default property only affects that field when the form is loaded, but if I am forcing the current user to enter an email address, I can look that user up by the email address entered. I can then set varStudentName, but how do I get it to display in the Name field?

By the way, I am having the current user enter a student email address. I then need to look the email address up in AzureAD and make sure its valid, assign the student's name to the varStudentEmail variable, and somehow get that value showing in the Student's Name field. This is what I entered in the OnChange property of my Student's Email field:

If(DataCardValue2.Text in Concat(AzureAD.GetGroupMembers("StudentGroupID").value,mail), Set(varStudentName, ); DataCardValue3.Text=varStudentName; Reset(DataCardValue3)

DataCardValue2 is the Student Email field.

DataCardValue3 is the Student Name field.

I know that Text is not a property of an Input Box, but not sure why. So I am trying to figure out What to use in place of that property. If you would rather me as this as a new question, I would be happy to do that.

@Greg27 wrote:

One last thing. You mentioned setting a variable to a field's Default property only affects that field when the form is loaded, but if I am forcing the current user to enter an email address, I can look that user up by the email address entered. I can then set varStudentName, but how do I get it to display in the Name field?

You can put varStudentName in the Default property. Then, as varStudentName is changed using a Set() function, the displayed value will change.

@Greg27 wrote:

By the way, I am having the current user enter a student email address. I then need to look the email address up in AzureAD and make sure its valid, assign the student's name to the varStudentEmail variable, and somehow get that value showing in the Student's Name field. This is what I entered in the OnChange property of my Student's Email field:

If(DataCardValue2.Text in Concat(AzureAD.GetGroupMembers("StudentGroupID").value,mail), Set(varStudentName, ); DataCardValue3.Text=varStudentName; Reset(DataCardValue3)

DataCardValue2 is the Student Email field.

DataCardValue3 is the Student Name field.

I know that Text is not a property of an Input Box, but not sure why. So I am trying to figure out What to use in place of that property. If you would rather me as this as a new question, I would be happy to do that.

You've got some branching questions in this thread now, so I feel for anyone coming behind and trying to learn from this... we really should stick to one question per thread.

Your code:

If(DataCardValue2.Text in Concat(AzureAD.GetGroupMembers("StudentGroupID").value,mail), 
    Set(varStudentName, ); 
    DataCardValue3.Text=varStudentName; 
    Reset(DataCardValue3)

has some syntax issues and probably won't do what you want.

• The Set() function is missing a second argument.
  • You can't assign a DataCard's Text property in this way (you have to put varStudentName in the Text property of the DataCard).
  • I don't believe Reset() will work on a control within a form -- what's the objective you're trying to achieve?

or I am getting really confused on this thread.

Bryan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,940)