cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

How to connect PowerApps with local MS Access 2016 database file?

Is it possible to local MS access 2016 database file using PowerApps as data source? If Yes, how. Any tutorial?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Itsmesri,

As far as I know, there is no direct way to connect a table in MS Access desktop to PowerApps.  However, there are several indirect ways to do this. That is the way I now use to print from PowerApps.  I found the best way was to  use SharePoint as the intermediary. The steps for SharePoint are as follows:

• Export the table from Access to SharePoint by right clicking on the table Export->SharePoint list
  • Create the app from SharePoint
  • Delete the table from Access
  • Import the SharePoint list back into Access as a linked table.  In Access External Data->New Data Sources->From Online Data Sources->SharePoint list  and Link to the datasource as a linked table.
  • Repeat for any tables that you will be using in PowerApps.

This will create tables that are automatically synchronized with PowerApps.  From here you will not be able to modify the table structure or data in the tables from Access, I think you can modify the structure in SharePoint and relink the table (I haven't tried this). Data entry and modifications are then done in PowerApps with the PowerApps Edit form taking the place of Forms in Access, You can then create queries and reports in Access from the linked tables. 

Sql server is probably an even better intermediary than SharePoint but I haven't done this yet.   A less robust solution would be to use Excel spreadsheets formatted as tables and saved in OneDrive or Dropbox as the intermediary but a similar process will also work.  In my application, I use desktop Access to create "Reports" that are actually a Mail Merge. Now I do all the data entry in PowerApps and since the tables are synchronized through SharePoint, I can Print the letters in one simple step. This is the same exact way I previously used the Access Web Apps before I migrated to PowerApps. Previously WebApps were my front end forms and desktop Access created the reports. Let me know if this works for you.    

Highlighted

Hi, I try to do it but I get error. "Can not find the property"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,962)