cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saraha

How to create Person Field from Text Field with Person's name

Hi there,

I have created a dropdown column where is pulls information from another SP List (Project Name). This also pulls through the Project Owner column from the other SP List. The only problem is that the Project Owner is a just a text field with the person's name (e.g. Sarah Smith) but I would like it to be linked to that person's contact card or email - i.e. be a Person field. 

Is there a way to create a Person column that will populate itself with the relevant person based on the entry into the Text Column? Then I will hide the text column of that person's name...

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @saraha ,

I did a test for you.After pressing the button, the person in the text column will be filled into the person column.

1\ This is my list 'LIST113'.

v-xiaochen-msft_0-1618882590670.png

2\ Add a button control and set its Onselect property to:

ForAll(Ungroup(AddColumns(LIST113.TextColumn,"Email",Office365Users.SearchUserV2({searchTerm:ThisRecord.TextColumn,top:1}).value.Mail),"Email") As A,Patch(LIST113,LookUp(LIST113,TextColumn=A.TextColumn),{PersonColumn:{Claims:"i:0#.f|membership|"&A.Mail,Email:A.Mail,Department:"",DisplayName:"",JobTitle:"",Picture:""}}))

3\ The result is as follows:

v-xiaochen-msft_1-1618883221906.png

Best Regards,
Wearsky
If my post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help others. Thanks.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @saraha ,

I did a test for you.After pressing the button, the person in the text column will be filled into the person column.

1\ This is my list 'LIST113'.

v-xiaochen-msft_0-1618882590670.png

2\ Add a button control and set its Onselect property to:

ForAll(Ungroup(AddColumns(LIST113.TextColumn,"Email",Office365Users.SearchUserV2({searchTerm:ThisRecord.TextColumn,top:1}).value.Mail),"Email") As A,Patch(LIST113,LookUp(LIST113,TextColumn=A.TextColumn),{PersonColumn:{Claims:"i:0#.f|membership|"&A.Mail,Email:A.Mail,Department:"",DisplayName:"",JobTitle:"",Picture:""}}))

3\ The result is as follows:

v-xiaochen-msft_1-1618883221906.png

Best Regards,
Wearsky
If my post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help others. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Power Apps Community Call Jan. 2022 768x460.png

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, January 19th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,768)