cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MelaxoM

How to create User Profile DB for an Application

Hello,

I'm trying to create an App for the use of my team and others. This will be my first app. The app is in a form of portal relying on a list of projects (Milestones, status, Weekly updates, services request tickets related to the projects). My team will basically be maintaining the information on that list. Additionally, other teams will need to be able to view status, milestones etc. I want to be able to create a database of users to separate my team and categorize my team members as those who will have edit privileges on each item on the project list. While members from other teams will be able to view only results from the list, ex. Tickets pending, projects approaching deadlines/milestones, etc. I don't know where to start with the user database and how will I be able to restrict controls according the user's profile. I don't have access or privileges to Add New Dataverse. Will i still be able to just Add or create a table even without access to dataverse?

MelaxoM_0-1664420009700.png

Any help or reference to links where a sample app that have similar requirements are present would be much great help. 

PS I would like to create it from scratch instead of using Milestones as it's too data heavy. I'd like to keep it simple and easier to edit. 

Thanks in advance. Mel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MelaxoM ,

No. They are two different things , one is for 'Dataverse' and another is 'Dataverse for teams'.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/environments-overview#types-of-environments

If you want to learn the permission in 'Dataverse for teams', please take a look at this document.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/teams/dataverse-for-teams-table-permissions

Best Regards,

Wearsky

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MelaxoM ,

It looks like you don't have enough privileges to create the Dataverse table.

Please contact your IT and request an escalation of your privileges if you want to use dataverse as your app database.

Best Regards,

Wearsky

MelaxoM

Although when I tried creating the App thru MS Teams, I'm able to create a table thru the designer. It's only thru web that I don't seem to have privileges. 

MelaxoM_0-1664437836004.png

v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MelaxoM ,

In teams, the environment for powerapps is 'dataverse for teams'.

I guess that the powerapps studio you open in the web is not this environment. Could you check it? How did you open the web powerapps studio?

Best Regards,

Wearsky

MelaxoM

I just choose the Power Apps from here: 

MelaxoM_0-1664438651955.png

There's only one Environment available when I check the environments on the upper right hand. Is it because the environments in Teams is also different from the one on the Web? Anyways, I'll just try to build the App thru teams and build the tables from scratch. I'll just figure out the part for the access. Initially I was thinking of lists that I already have on a Teams channel and use that. If I do, will it inherit the same access privileges I set for the list and from the channel where it's currently on? 

v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MelaxoM ,

No. They are two different things , one is for 'Dataverse' and another is 'Dataverse for teams'.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/environments-overview#types-of-environments

If you want to learn the permission in 'Dataverse for teams', please take a look at this document.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/teams/dataverse-for-teams-table-permissions

Best Regards,

Wearsky

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,154)