cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlprentice
Resolver I
Resolver I

How to disable "Text input" if value retrieved from data source is null/empty/blank.

We have ticket numbers that get assigned to request for change submissions. We don't want the text input field or the submit button to be editable/clickable  if the value that shows up exists from our SharePoint list. If nothing shows up we want the field to be editable, and the submit button to be clickable.

The name of our data source that contains the 'FootPrints Ticket Number' :

'Requests for Change'

The name of the input field:

InputField1

The name of the submit button:

FootprintsCreate

Screenshot 2021-02-12 142004.png

Screenshot 2021-02-12 142444.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@dlprentice 

You cannot set a value on a control like that in PowerApps.  PowerApps is a no code platform that derives its values on controls with formulas, just like Excel uses formulas to derive information in a cell.

For your TextInput1 control, set the DisplayMode property to:

If(IsBlank(Parent.Default), Edit, Disabled)

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@dlprentice 

You cannot set a value on a control like that in PowerApps.  PowerApps is a no code platform that derives its values on controls with formulas, just like Excel uses formulas to derive information in a cell.

For your TextInput1 control, set the DisplayMode property to:

If(IsBlank(Parent.Default), Edit, Disabled)

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

Thank you for also taking the time to explain the way values are derived. We were way over thinking how to accomplish this.

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@dlprentice 

Happy to help.  Yep, don't overcomplicate.  Keep it simple.  Drop the developer hat at the door and put on the Excel formula hat....PowerApps will be your best friend then. 😁

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (68,679)