cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CalvinDale
Frequent Visitor

How to display a field other than the primary name field in lookup field’s selection tag

When I create a new record in a related table that has a lookup field, I would like the selected value(s) of the lookup field to display a column value other than the primary name column value for the related table. Is this possible?

Here is why I seek to do this. I have a legacy system table that stores GUID and name associations (among other fields). The GUID/name associations are used as a lookup field for a field in another related table. Whereas the GUIDs are permanent, the names associated with the GUIDs occasionally change over time (and are therefore not unique within the table). For this reason, the GUID is the primary name column in the imported table rather than the associated name. When creating a record in the related table (the many side of the relationship), I would like the lookup field to display the name field rather than the GUID field after a selection is made in the selected value tag (i.e., on the create new form for the entity on the many side of the relationship). The display value for the tag (button? or label?) evidently is not affected by the lookup view design. Hence, I wonder if this is even possible. If so, it would improve the user experience.

4 REPLIES 4
v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CalvinDale ,

Did you use Canvas app ?

If you use the canvas app and you want to show a certain column to the user, I suggest you use the combo box control.

I assume I have a table 'Test 77S' . It has a lookup column 'TestLookup'. Its related table is 'Test 66S'.

Please refer to the steps below:

1\ Set Items property of combo box control to:

Choices('Test 77S'.TestLookup)

2\ Set other properties of combo box control like pictrue:

v-xiaochen-msft_0-1616119807153.png

// You could choose the columns you want to display

In addition, If you do not use the canvas app, you can modify 'view'.

v-xiaochen-msft_4-1616120768322.png

v-xiaochen-msft_3-1616120737265.png

// Assuming that 'Test3' column is shown to the user, please set it as shown in the figure above.

Best Regards,
Wearsky
If my post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help others. Thanks.

CalvinDale
Frequent Visitor

Hello and thanks for the response. Actually, it is a model-driven app.

v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CalvinDale ,

So, I considered this situation.

Please try the second solution I mentioned above and tell me if it works for you.

Best Regards,
Wearsky
If my post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help others. Thanks.

Thanks. Your second solution is also applicable to a canvas app and is not applicable to a model-driven app.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (1,975)