cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
R58395
Helper III
Helper III

How to get the current locale throughout all ways of accessing a PowerApp?

I am trying to translate my app into multiple languages. For this I am planning on reading from text values from a SP list depending on which locale it is. But I need to detect what is the current locale first. Users can access the app using

1. A standalone link

2. Embedded in a SP Online page

3. Native PowerApp App

I am using the Param("locale") or Language() to get the value.

For 1), since I can control the URL freely, I can just put in locale=en-US or locale=fr-CA in the URL which seems to work. 

For 2), Since it cannot read URL params from the parent frame, I can't control it there, but Language() seems to read it fine from the inner iframe URL. Does this value get set from the browser/OS locale setting?

For 3), I notice that the Param function gets an empty value, but Language() gets me "en". Is this a reliable way to check? Seems like "en" is just the default value it gives when it can't get any value. So someone in say a french region could still get "en". 

How can I get this working accurately? 

2 REPLIES 2
v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @R58395 ,

If you would like to build a multi-language app you could refer to below doc:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/multi-language-apps

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

R58395
Helper III
Helper III

That tutorial doesn't really answer what I am talking about. I am more so looking for expected values for the Language() function  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-language

for the 3 different ways to access the powerapp. I want to know if the return values I get described in the first post is what is expected and will work across different regions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Microsoft Ignite 768x460.png

Find your focus

Explore the latest tools,training sessions,technical expertise, networking and more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,683)