cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

How to identify which user created a new record?

Hi,

So I've found a way to display which user modified existing data along with the date and time modified through Shane Young's video. Now I want to know is it possible for me to identify which user created a new record in a table along with the data and time created to be displayed inside the gallery. I tried many ways yet failed. Any suggestion to work around it? 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @rgane ,

Sorry I misunderstood that your data source was sharepoint list.

Since in Excel, there are no system fields like in sharepoint list: Created by,Created,Modified by,Modified, you need to update them by yourslf.

1)Created by,Created,Modified by,Modified: please update them when you create the record

2)Modified by,Modified:please update them every time you edit the record.

Here's my solution:

I assume that you use form to create record and edit record

1)when you create record, try this formula:

Patch(VerificationDetails,Defaults(VerificationDetails),Newform_name.Updates,{Created by:User().Email,Created:Now(),Modified by:User().Email,Modified:Now()})

2)when you edit record, try this formula:

Patch(VerificationDetails,the item that you want to edit,Editform_name.Updates,{Modified by:User().Email,Modified:Now()})

Please replace with your fields name, new form name, edit form name, the item that you want to edit.

If you are using the same form to create record and edit record, try this:

If(Formname.DisplayMode=New,
   Patch(VerificationDetails,Defaults(VerificationDetails),Newform_name.Updates,{Created by:User().Email,Created:Now(),Modified by:User().Email,Modified:Now()}),
   Formname.DisplayMode=DisplayMode.Edit,
   Patch(VerificationDetails,the item that you want to edit,Editform_name.Updates,{Modified by:User().Email,Modified:Now()}
        )
   )

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

If follows same procedure as the modifiedBy.
Create a column in your table CreatedBy.
Then on your form you can insert Now().
Whenever you enter new record the date be captured.
Highlighted
Advocate III
Advocate III

If you are using a sharepoint list as a database then it will be the 'Created' column and the 'Created By' Column.

In order to pull these through in a gallery you can use the formula ThisItem.Created and ThisItem.'Created By' on labels.

Hope this helps 🙂

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rgane ,

Do you want to know which fields record the value of creator and created time in sharepoint list?

Please notice these system fields in sharepoint list:

(these are system generated field, no need you to create these fields or update these fields)

1)Created by(person type): the person who create the item

2)Created(date and time type): the time that the item was created

3)Modified by(person type):the person who last modified the item

4)Modified(person type):the time that the item is latest modified

3165.PNG

You could directly display these fields in powerapps.

For example:

insert a gallery, set its data source to your sharepoint list.

You just need to set the label's Text inside the gallery:

ThisItem.Created

Or 

ThisItem.Modified

Please notice that Created by and Modified by field is person type, so you need to use formula like this:

ThisItem.'Created By'.DisplayName

Or 

ThisItem.'Modified By'.DisplayName

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted

Hi @v-yutliu-msft 

Sorry, my data source is a excel file from google drive. Does it use the same method as well ? As for "Modified by" , I use the LastSubmit function for OnSuccess of a form and it worked flawlessly, but how do I record/audit who created a new data by their name and time created ? I've also attached the image of an example of how I record the LastSubmit function. I want something like that to record about the newly created data on the same field. 

Highlighted

Hi @rgane ,

Sorry I misunderstood that your data source was sharepoint list.

Since in Excel, there are no system fields like in sharepoint list: Created by,Created,Modified by,Modified, you need to update them by yourslf.

1)Created by,Created,Modified by,Modified: please update them when you create the record

2)Modified by,Modified:please update them every time you edit the record.

Here's my solution:

I assume that you use form to create record and edit record

1)when you create record, try this formula:

Patch(VerificationDetails,Defaults(VerificationDetails),Newform_name.Updates,{Created by:User().Email,Created:Now(),Modified by:User().Email,Modified:Now()})

2)when you edit record, try this formula:

Patch(VerificationDetails,the item that you want to edit,Editform_name.Updates,{Modified by:User().Email,Modified:Now()})

Please replace with your fields name, new form name, edit form name, the item that you want to edit.

If you are using the same form to create record and edit record, try this:

If(Formname.DisplayMode=New,
   Patch(VerificationDetails,Defaults(VerificationDetails),Newform_name.Updates,{Created by:User().Email,Created:Now(),Modified by:User().Email,Modified:Now()}),
   Formname.DisplayMode=DisplayMode.Edit,
   Patch(VerificationDetails,the item that you want to edit,Editform_name.Updates,{Modified by:User().Email,Modified:Now()}
        )
   )

Best regards,

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,590)