kmk
Helper V
Helper V

How to import excel in to powerapp

Hi Mates,

Can we import excel in to powerapps ..?

example : Button click

open a form to select excel, then read columns and column values in powerapp 

Yes, its not read excel data via dataSource.

By any chance can we achieve this requirement in powerapps...? 

kindly guide me.

6 REPLIES 6
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @kmk ,

If you mean select an Excel file and import the data, then no, this cannot be done.

You can connect an Excel file in OneDrive as a data source, but this may not be what you are asking.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

eka24
Super User
Super User

In importing excel into your app, I assume you mean a static excel data. (Non static mean connecting with the excel such that when you update the excel, it automatically updates in Powerapps)

Consider these steps:

1. In your Powerapps, GOTO View--Datasource Connection
  2. In your Excel sheet, Create a Properly formatted excel Table inside the excel sheet covering where your excel data is located
  3. To Import, Import from  excel to pick the excel file data in powerapps.
  4. To view the data, you can create a Collection or Use the TableName created in step 2 on a Gallery

For Dynamic Connection of your excel in onedrive in your Powerapps, follow this video:
https://youtu.be/-Z_13J02RPU?t=210

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes ish this can be done. I had a similar use case.

You cannot link Excel directly to your PowerApp but if you can create SharePoint list from an Excel Table. Then create a Microsoft Flow that will push updates to that SharePoint list when lines are updated or new entries are created.

You can then reference that Excel driven SharePoint list in your PowerApp.

Great article here on creating the Flow if you need a helping hand.

https://jamiemcallister.com/upload-update-excel-values-to-sharepoint-list/

Hope that helps 😊

R

Hi @eka24,

They just want to browse and select excel file then open the selected excel file in powerapp.

Users can not go though the dataSource option.

Hi @Anonymous ,

with the referance link i just learned one new thing here,

but instead of uploading in to sharepoint, is there any chance to load/update in to sql Table ...?

Actually they want to update from excel to SQL Table only.

mogulman
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

I've been confronted with with loading Excel data to a database probably a dozen times over the last 20 years.  The overall solution varies based on requirements but I almost always create an Excel VBA addin (.xlam).  The addin will check the data to make sure it is valid.  If it is an on-premise server like SQL Server Excel can easily connect to it and load the data directly.  I also have used Oracle and MySQL.  You can also easily connect to Azure SQL DB but you must register IP address in Azure.  For large international organizations I found having the addin FTP the user workbook to a central site and having a cron check every few minutes then upload data.  You an also setup a website and have user manually upload workbook.  A cron job can upload data from web server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,140)