cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

How to patch a new record (defaults) to CDS and update existing record (edit form) from a single control

Hi,

I have 2 entities, Orders and Groups. Orders are one-to-many Groups.

I have 2 galleries, 1 gallery displaying Orders, another gallery showing Groups from the selected Order in the previous gallery.

I have a submit button where if a user would like to add a new Group to the Order, they are brought to a screen with a standard form. When they're done entering info, the submit button is a Patch that connects the datacard values for the Group to the selected Order. At this point, I wasn't totally sure how to make a SubmitForm patch to the related entity (Orders) but this worked for the time being.

However, I have it so far that when an edit Group button is used, the selected Group is going through the regular EditForm() process. Thus when a user presses the submit button it is patching the defaults above instead of simply editing the selected record, creating a new record - not ideal.

Below is the button used on the screen whether they make a new Group record or edit the Group record. It's worth noting on the previous screen are 2 buttons: Add new Group (NewForm), Edit Group (EditForm).

Patch(
  [@Groups],
  Defaults([@Groups]),
    {
      'OrderRelationship': galleryOrders.Selected
      'Group Name': DataCardValue.Text
    }
);
Refresh([@Groups]);
ResetForm(frmEditGroup);
Navigate('Order Detail Screen')

Question: What is the best solution to keep a single screen and single control that could take care of both patching a new record as well as updating a selected record?

Edit: This is solved.

Added:

If(frmEditGroup.Mode=FormMode.New, Patch(), SubmitForm(frmEditGroup)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: How to patch a new record (defaults) to CDS and update existing record (edit form) from a single control

Hi @virakones ,

Have you solved your problem?

Do you want to add or edit records using a single one button?

Based on the solution that you mentioned, I agree with you almost. You could use the frmEditGroup.Mode=FormMode.New condition to determine if you are adding a record or editing a record in your canvas app.

Actually, the Patch function could also achieve your needs. Please take a try with the following formula:

If(
   frmEditGroup.Mode = FormMode.New, 
   Patch(
         [@Groups],
         Defaults([@Groups]),
         {
         }
   ), 
   Patch(
         [@Groups],
         galleryGroups.Selected,  // or Type LookUp([@Groups], 'Unique Identifier Column' = galleryGroups.Selected.'Unique Identifier Column')
         frmEditGroup.Updates
   )
);
Refresh([@Groups]);
ResetForm(frmEditGroup);

If you have solved your problem, please consider go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" to identify this thread has been solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: How to patch a new record (defaults) to CDS and update existing record (edit form) from a single control

Hi @virakones ,

Have you solved your problem?

Do you want to add or edit records using a single one button?

Based on the solution that you mentioned, I agree with you almost. You could use the frmEditGroup.Mode=FormMode.New condition to determine if you are adding a record or editing a record in your canvas app.

Actually, the Patch function could also achieve your needs. Please take a try with the following formula:

If(
   frmEditGroup.Mode = FormMode.New, 
   Patch(
         [@Groups],
         Defaults([@Groups]),
         {
         }
   ), 
   Patch(
         [@Groups],
         galleryGroups.Selected,  // or Type LookUp([@Groups], 'Unique Identifier Column' = galleryGroups.Selected.'Unique Identifier Column')
         frmEditGroup.Updates
   )
);
Refresh([@Groups]);
ResetForm(frmEditGroup);

If you have solved your problem, please consider go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" to identify this thread has been solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@v-xida-msft 

Thank you for the help! Your suggestion for form.Updates  is new to me, I might have to research this a bit more.

Thank you again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Robotic Process Automation

Let's talk about the solution provided by Microsoft for Robotic Process Automation (RPA)

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,048)