cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

How to prohibit users to use multiple instances of the powerapp.

Hi, 

I am facing an issue where a user is creating duplicate records in a SharePoint source because he is opening two instances of the Powerapp at the same time. On the one hand he is consuming the application in an android mobile device in the other he also is processing some operation in the browser version of the application. As a result there are  several scenario where the same record is created twice at SharePoint.

Due to this situation, i was wondering if there is an workaround that i can configure so that this user only can have one instance of the application at time?

Thanks in advance for your help

SBlackberry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: How to prohibit users to use multiple instances of the powerapp.

@SBlackberry 
You could start a Login / Logout register using a SP List? I use a similar list to store logins into my apps. The problem is the logout / closing the application but you could set this on a timer?

Eg.

1. User A logs in via mobile --> Patch record to SP --> check if User A already logged in --> No --> proceed

2. User A then logs in via desktop --> Patch record to SP --> check if User A already logged in --> Yes --> Notify User A they need to log out of their other session or wait an hour (this can be a time that suits you) before trying again

Schema could be

User | App Name | Login Date & Time | Logout Date & Time | Currently logged in | etc ...

In 1. above you would fill 'Currently logged in' with 'Yes', or similar.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

@SBlackberry 
You could start a Login / Logout register using a SP List? I use a similar list to store logins into my apps. The problem is the logout / closing the application but you could set this on a timer?

Eg.

1. User A logs in via mobile --> Patch record to SP --> check if User A already logged in --> No --> proceed

2. User A then logs in via desktop --> Patch record to SP --> check if User A already logged in --> Yes --> Notify User A they need to log out of their other session or wait an hour (this can be a time that suits you) before trying again

Schema could be

User | App Name | Login Date & Time | Logout Date & Time | Currently logged in | etc ...

In 1. above you would fill 'Currently logged in' with 'Yes', or similar.

View solution in original post

Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @SBlackberry ,

Firstly, consider the suggestion from @Eelman. If it works, that would be the best way to prevent duplicate issue.

I believe there would be a certain action on the PowerApps to create a SharePoint record. If end-users perform the action from both Android and Web browser, it will create two records and this is expected behavior unless there is a certain validation process.

If the certain action has a specific key record ID that shouldn't be duplicated in the SharePoint list side, you can also add a validation to check whether there is already existing record using the following two parameter when creating a record:

1. The specific key record ID
2. The user ID

If the SharePoint list already has the item, you can show a notification to the user that the record already exists.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank you guys, based on your recommendations, I created a new SP list which it will be in charge to handling a session ID each time a user get in or get out the power apps(login/logout) also i customized the apps to detects if the current user has more that one session registered at Share point if so i will disable all the app functionality and ask the user to logout the app using the logout functionality.

Finally, i created a new MS flow to run every 15 minutes, so that it can help me to unlocked user. The flow will delete all session id saved at share point every 10 minutes.

Once again, thank you very much for the ideas and recommendations

S.Blackberry

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,977)