cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MRRadiant
Level: Powered On

How to remove or disable the DEPENDS on property for Drop down lists

Recently I have started having problems with the Drop down lists ( DDL) where in EDIT forms the Value displayed in the Parent.Default though correct ( previous selected value stored in the DB . the DDL ( displays for the user different ( mostly the first entry in DDL, depends on property is used though never defined in the first place.) . this is throwing the users off as what they had selected and saved previously stored in the Database is not what is shown on the EDIT form. 

WE have applications where the users selected a lot of data from DDL and and when the record is pulled up in a Edit form for editing , it  should display the old data( Previous saved data from DB) 

The developer does not have the ability to remove the Depends on Control or disable it.  it should allow the developer to globally or at individual control level disable this feature. 

While the intent  is good this feature is creating havoc with already developed apps and functionality is disastrous for the EDIT forms.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
EricLott
Level 10

Re: How to remove or disable the DEPENDS on property for Drop down lists

The Depends On property of a dropdown box only adds a filter to the Items property and uses a previous entry to filter the next dropdown.

I'm not sure the Depends On property is the issue here. It sounds like you have an issue with which record is being displayed in your Edit Form. Is that the case?

Microsoft v-siky-msft
Microsoft

@MRRadiant,

Depends on property is for cascading drop-down, that means you select an option in parent drop-down to filter options in child drop-down, so it only influences Items of child drop-down. In addition, if you apply the filter function to dropdown based on another dropdown selection, Depend on property will automatically be set. Reference: Create dependent drop-down lists in a canvas app.  So it can not be disabled, if you are not making a cascading drop-down, it won't work.

Snipaste_2019-12-30_14-08-20.png

You said "the form doesn't show the value stored in the  Database previously ", I think this issue is mainly caused by Default property(for dropdown) or DefaultSelectedItems property (for combo box). So I hope you can provide some further details with screenshots:

1. What it the Default or DefaultSelectedItems property of drop-down? 

2. Could you show the items property of dropdown? Is it a cascading drop-down?

3. Could you share the screenshots of Depend on property

4. What is the items property of edit form? Do all other fields show previous value properly?

Sik

Highlighted
MRRadiant

Let me first answer your questions 1 - 4

1 - Parent.Default ( Employment Status and State , State works fine but Employment Status does not)

2 - They are SQL server Tables ( some of them are hard coded lists) it has no impact for me .

3 - See attached files ( screen shots) same for both DDL ( Emp Status and State Code)

4 - See attached files ( Specifically the Item property of the edit form is a lookup to that particular record on the back end DB( SQL server) it is retrieving the correct record from the back end. all other fields are ok only the EMployment status DDL is .

the Update property of both the data card are set correctly as well. (Datacardvalue.SelectedText.Value( column name from the Backend DB) this is all correct.

I believe the bug in is MS Power apps Environment, If one define a DDL field with a DB or list of values  It shows the first entry on the Edit form or New form for that field. 

All I an looking for a simple DDL data card without any dependency . Cascading DDL is not my need to requirement.  why cant we define a independent simple DDL . while the Cascading has merit forcing it on every DDL is poor implementation by MS.

Thanks

Microsoft v-siky-msft
Microsoft

@MRRadiant,

Could you share the Items property of drop-down? Is there any filter function based on another dropdown selection?

'Depend on' is just a visual representation of the Item property. If the Items code satisfy the cascade, the 'Depend On' will be set.

Sik

MRRadiant

@v-siky-msft , hi appreciate your effort and help.

Its a simple Table ( back end Data source SQL server table[See attachment] )  both cases. , No filter. Nada 

I just want the depends on gone , the DDL field should display the previous ( parent.default value to the end user). 

from what I can make out, the Power apps tool should not display anything until something (a change) is made / or new value selected from the DDL.

Thanks

Microsoft v-siky-msft
Microsoft

Hi @MRRadiant ,

That's wired, but I think it is sporadic.

Could you replace that datacardvalue in the form  by a combobox and then try again?

Sik

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,514)