cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg27
Helper I
Helper I

How to replace 14 lookups from 4 SharePoint Lists in a Power Apps form

We are replacing InfoPath Forms with Power Apps using SharePoint Lists. We are creating a Power App form from a SharePoint list that uses 4 SharePoint lists. Our current InfoPath form uses 14 Lookups in the main SharePoint list. When creating the main list in SharePoint, Sharepoint allows me to create the list with 14 lookup fields, but will not let me back in because I am using more than 8 lookups, which they say can cause performance problems. I get that. So... the question is... how do we create the mail SharePoint list to change those lookups to "Single line of text" and add 14 drop-down fields in Power Apps and load them with the values in the 4 SharePoint lists so that performance is not affected? If you ask "Why would you create multiple drop-down fields from the same SharePoint list", think of it like creating a new account with a company and they want you to select 3 security questions from 3 drop-down fields. The 3 drop-down fields hold the same exact list of questions, but they still give you 3 separate drop-down fields.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @Greg27 

Before embarking on your journey, please review @WarrenBelz 's blog about how to use SharePoint as a datasource for PowerApps.  You will save yourself hours of frustration. https://www.practicalpowerapps.com/ .  IMHO, it should be required reading before developing PowerApps and SharePoint.

View solution in original post

@Greg27 ,'

I will answer this one myself - Yes. If you are using SharePoint as strictly a data source, stick to text and number (and date where you need them) fields - you will save yourself a whole lot of grief and also find Power Apps very easy to manage the data generally.

7 REPLIES 7
Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @Greg27 

Before embarking on your journey, please review @WarrenBelz 's blog about how to use SharePoint as a datasource for PowerApps.  You will save yourself hours of frustration. https://www.practicalpowerapps.com/ .  IMHO, it should be required reading before developing PowerApps and SharePoint.

After reviewing @WarrenBelz's blog, it seems that, for performance issues, you should only use certain field types and not others for performance reasons. So, is the best way to handle this by creating SharePoint Lists using Single line of text and Number field types as much as possible and then, within the app, add the field type that I need for each field and when they are populated, assign the app field value to the associated field in the SharePoint List? All of the training I have gone through says to just create the SharePoint Lists how I want them and create the app based on the lists. I just want to make sure I am creating apps the preferred way.

Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

@Greg27 

You will save yourself a great deal of frustration if you follow @WarrenBelz 's advice in how you design your SharePoint lists and it isn't just performance issues.

@Drrickryp 

I am just trying to confirm that is what he is meaning. Nobody is goig to bulk edit anything. the Apps we are going to build are just workflows, so we will have lists with values we will load into dropdown fields in the app and when they fill the forms out, that data will be written back to the SharePoint list for the form and we will use Power Automated to send email to approvers and allow users to approve the data in the main SharePoint list for the app. From what I can tell is that @WarrenBelz is saying is that if I am going to have a bunch of fields in the SharePoint list that my app is built off of that would hold a value chosen from a drop down in the app, I shouldn't use a Lookup field type in the main SharePoint List, but rather use a Single line of text or Number. Then, in the app, use a dropdown field and assign that value to the field it is associated to in my SharePoint list. Is that what @WarrenBelz is saying? 

@Greg27 ,'

I will answer this one myself - Yes. If you are using SharePoint as strictly a data source, stick to text and number (and date where you need them) fields - you will save yourself a whole lot of grief and also find Power Apps very easy to manage the data generally.

@WarrenBelz I tried to accept your answer as well as Drrickryp's, but it looks like it only allows for one solution and it took your reply off as a solution when I selected his. I think you both deserve credit for resolving this. Since I am new to this community, I would love any advice to properly give credit where credit is due. Regardless... I really appreciate your help. I am guessing you are recommending creating a canvas app, adding the fields in that are needed, and when clicking a submit button, writing the field values into the list for that app. Is there any website or  video that talks about doing that? Also, I have multiple lists that I will need to populate into Lookup fields in the app. Is there a good website or video that talks about loading the contents of a SharePoint List into a Lookup field in a Canvas app? If I should ask this as a separate question, please let me know. I don't want to do things in an inappropriate manner, but feel like you are a great source for getting to the point.

@Greg27 ,

I see you managed to accept both posts -  I will leave the response to @Drrickryp as I only "came in" to emphasise the point.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (67,559)