cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rprahalad
Helper V
Helper V

How to return multiple columns from a LookUp functin?

Hello All,

I need to do a LookUp on a table and return a concatenated return value o two columns.  Can you please let me know how to do it?

I tried this and its giving me an error. Here clSearchResults is another collection that has the ID column. That part is not an issue but returning multiple fields in a concatenated form is giving me an error. Thanks 

LookUp (Employees,

ID = colSearchResults[@ID].ID,

FirstName & LastName)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Yep! Sorry I should have mentioned this. This code is actually part of AddColumns block. It is one-one and I am just querying the Employees table with an absolute scalar ID and i need to return just a concatenated name. Thanks again!

View solution in original post

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@rprahalad 

You don't need to make two calls to the datasource.  In fact, that is not how it works at all in PowerApps.  When you lookup against a datasource, there is one call made to your cloud session table.  After that, the app has the value for the future.

LookUp(Employees, ID = 5, FirstName & "  " & LastName)

Will return the First and last names combined together for the Employees record with an ID of 5 in this example.

So, your original formula is fine.  Your problem is that you are trying to lookup on an ID and a Table of ID's, that will not work.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@rprahalad 

I am not entirely sure where a collection fits into this, but your formula will not work as you are trying to do equality operation on the ID and a table of ID's.  

So are you trying to get all of the concatenated names based on a collection, or just how does this collection fit into your needs?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@rprahalad 

You need to concatenate the results of two lookup columns.  I don't think you can do it within a single lookup.

LookUp(Employees,ID = colSearchResults[@ID].ID,FirstName) &" "& 
LookUp(Employees,ID = colSearchResults[@ID].ID,LastName)

Thanks for your response. Its actually a LookUp column. So, technically  I am just doing Select * from Employees where ID= 5. But I just need to do Select FirstName + " " + LastName from Employees where ID=5

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@rprahalad 

Is Employees the foreign (looked up) list?

That's what I feared. Making two calls to DataVerse just to get  data from two columns  is what I am trying to avoid. Thanks for your response though!

Yep! Sorry I should have mentioned this. This code is actually part of AddColumns block. It is one-one and I am just querying the Employees table with an absolute scalar ID and i need to return just a concatenated name. Thanks again!

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@rprahalad 

You don't need to make two calls to the datasource.  In fact, that is not how it works at all in PowerApps.  When you lookup against a datasource, there is one call made to your cloud session table.  After that, the app has the value for the future.

LookUp(Employees, ID = 5, FirstName & "  " & LastName)

Will return the First and last names combined together for the Employees record with an ID of 5 in this example.

So, your original formula is fine.  Your problem is that you are trying to lookup on an ID and a Table of ID's, that will not work.

rprahalad
Helper V
Helper V

Thanks @RandyHayes ! That was it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations 768x460.png

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

<
Users online (2,615)