cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Future_Vision
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

How to troubleshoot a form submision that is throwing an error?

I have a screen with 3 forms and a master form. When I try and submit a 'new' form I get an error

"An entry required or has an invalid value. Please correct and try again". 

Now, if I go and edit a record or copy a record to edit and save as a new record I have no issues. It is only when I try and add a new record. I can't figure out why this is happening. The only things I believe I changed were some names like StarVisible to FieldName_StarVisible. I also set 3 datacards to Required but when the form failed to submit I changed them back. I don't believe I got an error then.

In addition I only receive the error message once. If I make a change to the data entered and try and submit nothing happens. No error message either. Any ideas what I need to do to track down the offending 'entry'?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Future_Vision
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Yes. That is correct. Somehow it broke along the way. instead of spending hours troubleshooting I rebuilt all 4 forms which took the better part of the work day. Along the way I took the liberty of fixing a few idiosyncrasies in naming table naming conventions and such. It works now. Just wish I knew what had broken in the first place and how to fix it. Without a detailed error I just couldn't track it down or spend the time doing so. Kind of bummer cause I hate wasting people's time here. Hopefully someone will find some useful nuggets in the thread.

View solution in original post

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Future_Vision 

This DOES happen sometimes with edit forms.  Especially if you make any changes in the underlying datasource.  Sometimes a form can "recover" from the changes and some times they get "stuck" and will only go away if you cut the form from the screen and paste it back, or remove and recreate the form completely.  Just depends on the changes and what it gets stuck on.

BUT...sounds like you are underway now and I wouldn't consider it a waste of time as it is just another learning experience.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Future_Vision 

How are you designating a New record?  What is the Item property of your Master form?

What columns in your datasource are listed as required?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Future_Vision
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Master form Item property is:

If(varCopy=true, Patch(glbFormData, Form1.Updates, Form2.Updates, Form3.Updates, {crfeb_tracking:Blank()}), Patch(glbFormData, Form1.Updates, Form2.Updates, Form3.Updates))

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Future_Vision 

So can you track down from your datasource what columns are required?

Future_Vision
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@RandyHayes 
I'm using the Dataverse(CDS) so I don't see anything set to required except what is native to the table(Status,Owner, ID and Primary Column). I did notice one thing. When I go to edit or copy there is one required field that is not populating even though I see that there is data in the glbFormData variable. I removed the field and test but the error still existed. That field should populate.

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Future_Vision 

Usually at this point, if I am not seeing it straight out, I would use the monitor tool to see what is being sent when submitting and what the response from the cloud service is.  It will usually have the direct answer there.

See if you can find any clues in that tool.

Future_Vision
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@RandyHayes 
I don't think the monitor tool is available for Powerapps for Teams but there is a 'Debug published app' tool. I think I'll need to set up a place to publish the debug version too since I wouldn't want to overwrite the previous version of the app which is currently functioning

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Future_Vision 

Ah yes...Teams!  No, you would not want to publish over a working version.  

I asked before, but didn't get a response on this...but since you mention this is only for new records, how is it that you are setting the glbFormData for a new record?

Future_Vision
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

The combination of the 4 forms are for new forms, edits and copy and save as new. 

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Future_Vision 

Okay...I'm confused now.  Your forms should all be in the same mode.  

Am I missing something here?  My assumption was that you have split your form for ONE record over several (4) different forms and you are combining the contents of all 4 for a single record.

Your Master form should have ALL of the fields in it and the child forms should have individual "sets" of fields in them - NON-overlapping!

Did I understand things correctly or is your scenario something else?   You seem to be indicating that all four forms have different functions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (78,832)