cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
camer314
Helper I
Helper I

How to update a field in a single record structure

I have seen several people ask this question but it seems they all have records that are part of a collection. What I have is a very simple record. In fact its a json representation so there are records within records etc.

I would have thought the most basic of functionality would exist to update a field in the record by reference but it appears that it cannot be done, at least not using PATCH, or I dont know how to use PATCH to reference a record that is not part of a datasource?

In any event this is the structure of my record in part:

Capture.PNG

So how do I go about updating the value for 'Agent'? Structurally that is equal to quoteRequest.'Policy Details'.Agent however I cannot figure out how to target that field, or generally any field in a record without it being in a collection.

This does not get a syntax error nor does it amend the record: 

Patch(quoteRequest, quoteRequest.'Policy Details', { Agent: "XXX"})

What I have is a UI that has controls that map to the fields in this JSON, so the JSON is read, it becomes a nested record, the controls are populated from the values, but I want to be able to update the values as the user changes the inputs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The only way to achieve this is to create a collection from the record, patch the collection and then reset the record from the collection. Seems like a very expensive and cumbersome solution but at least it is a solution.

// Turn the record into a collection, patch it then get the record back out
ClearCollect(tempdatasource, policyDetailsRecord);
Patch(tempdatasource, First(tempdatasource), {PolicyNo: Self.Text});
Set(policyDetailsRecord, First(tempdatasource));

I don't understand why the patch cannot work directly on a record, I would imagine the codebase is 95% there already, seems like an oversight if you ask me but for now if anyone else has the same problem the above works.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

HI @camer314 ,

This would be the structure for Patching from inside a Form or Gallery ThisItem would be replaced with the record reference otherwise

Patch(
   quoteRequest,
   ThisItem,
   {
      'Policy Details':{Agent:"XXX"}
   }
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Thanks @WarrenBelz , the update is not from with a Form or Gallery and I dont know how to get the 'record reference' otherwise because its a single record not a collection.

Hi @camer314 ,'

I assume this is SharePoint - if you have only created one record, it will be ID 1, so

Patch(
   quoteRequest,
   {ID:1},
   {
      'Policy Details':{Agent:"XXX"}
   }
)

If not 1, get the ID from the record and use that.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

@WarrenBelz ,

No the record represents returned JSON from a custom connector web API, it does not originate from CDS nor is it a table or a collection, it is simply a JSON object that PowerApps has converted into a nested record variable from which PATCH does not seem to know what to do with.

@camer314 ,

OK - you are correct - Patch will have no idea what to do with it.

The only way to achieve this is to create a collection from the record, patch the collection and then reset the record from the collection. Seems like a very expensive and cumbersome solution but at least it is a solution.

// Turn the record into a collection, patch it then get the record back out
ClearCollect(tempdatasource, policyDetailsRecord);
Patch(tempdatasource, First(tempdatasource), {PolicyNo: Self.Text});
Set(policyDetailsRecord, First(tempdatasource));

I don't understand why the patch cannot work directly on a record, I would imagine the codebase is 95% there already, seems like an oversight if you ask me but for now if anyone else has the same problem the above works.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Groups Public Preview

Join us for our User Group Public Preview!

Power Apps User Groups are coming! Make sure you’re among the first to know when user groups go live for public preview.

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (51,628)