cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

How to use Approval flow with an excel based power app

I created a power app based  on excel file via one drive for business. Now I want to expand this send an approval email out and I am thinking of using MS Flow. I cannot seem to find any examples on how to best pass a record into flow so the flow can update it. I see that PowerApps does let you pass in a parameter and flow can refer to it but I do not see how flow can refer to a record or fied in the excel sheet. 
One drive for business does not expose the excel file location for Powerapps to use and I am not sure what to pass to flow nor how to update a field. Ideally I want to have a user submit a request from my Power to flow and have the flow update, the approval/rejection field in a table. It also would help if flow can check a value in the sheet prior to the update of the status as the contents of the sheet may have changed from the time a request was made and the receiver approved it.

Am I asking too much of out of flow or is the above possible?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Re: How to use Approval flow with an excel based power app

This is possible, but for the reasons you expressed it is much easier to do if the data is stored in a SharePoint list.  Is there a particular reason it needs to stay in Excel?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @geneZebra ,

Do you want to create an approval flow from excel?

Here are docs about it for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/april18/microsoft-flow/build-ru...

https://jonlevesque.com/microsoft-flow-approval-workflow-with-excel-online/

According to the doc, the For a selected row trigger can be used for sending for approval.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @geneZebra how are you progressing with this? Were the above replies helpful?

@TopShelf-MSFT 

Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

Sorry for the late response. For some reason I do not think I am receiving email notificaitons. I decided to do this all in PowerApps. Updating a record in for an excel sheet in flow didn't seem to be as flexible or intuitive. The link to the release notes helped since it points to how to create new entries. Not quite the same as being able to update a record so I opted to do it all in a Power App. 

As far as the comment on the sharepoint lists, I find that I get lost in URL (or multi web page) hell when dealing with the lists. I have several tables and prefer an app like a excel with a multi-tab UI to be able to look at each one and manage the persmissions all together. 

Thanks,

Gene

Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

I am also going to post this as a new topic but in short, I need a lesson or reference on how to enter expressions in flow. I am trying to enter a criteria for a filter query and I have no idea where to look. 

My flow is using an excel online  action called List rows for data. In there, I believe I need to put in a filter criteria to limit the rows I want to work on. In short, I want to send an email for entries where traveldate is within a certain number of days from now. 

In the screen shot I typed in TravelDate as it appears in my table but then I am lost. On line searches do not show a syntax used to enter odata expressions/queries. If there is a reference anywhere, please share. I saw there is some stuff out there for Logic apps but that seems like a whole other world and there is no obvious tie in to how flows and the excel connector are related. I am sure they are all the same thing but I just need some basics to get a simple expression working in a flow.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020 Winner Announced

Check it out!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,361)