cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dogjumpjump
Frequent Visitor

How to use display name in picklist as an options in Drop Downcontrol or textbox value in power apps

I would like to seek help as I create a picklist as follow example

Name     Display name

acct       Accounting Service

it           Information Technology and Computer services

but I can only use [Name]  as a value of field / options in Drop Down control

it is quite useless for GUI, since name is not allow to put any [space], so I cannot type meaningful option for user

please help

Thanks 

9 REPLIES 9
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dogjumpjump,

Would you please share more details regarding the App that you created, along with the Picklist?

If you are refering to the picklists in Common Data service, then please take a try to switch to Allowed values:

52.PNG

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-micsh-msft Using your example, add an item to your picklist with a space or special character in the Display Name. You'll see that the Allowed Values control will only return the Name of the picklist item (which doesn't contain spaces or special characters). 

Hi @levisyck and @dogjumpjump,

Thanks for the remindings.

Yes, currenlty PowerApps is only available to display the Name of the picklists.

Please consider submit idea on this if you would like to have displayname shown in the value list.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I would have thought it was fairly obvious that 'Display Name' would be used for the selection list / dropdown within an app rather than the 'Name' element?!?

Paul_C
Microsoft
Microsoft

Let's see if I understand the problem correctly. You have a datasource with two columns that you want to use with a Dropdown control, but you want the displayed text to be taken from the second column instead of the first column?

If this is the case, you can set the Dropdown control's Item property to the following (but replace Table1 with the name of your table, of course):

Table1.'Display name'

Note that when you check Dropdown1.Selected.Value you will get the Display name instead of Name.

- Paul C.
Software Engineer on PowerApps

Finally, I use other entity as an option list of the dropdownbox instead of using picker list...

All problem gone..

so this pickerlist function is not useful to me finally

Graham
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Paul_C - The point you are missing is that the datasource (or field type) is a picklist.

How did you use another entity as an option list? Please describe because I dont want to have this problem either, so your solutin would be very welcome.

jrodts
Regular Visitor

This solution did not work for me. Please describe how the "DISPLAY NAME" in a picklist can be displayed instead of the "NAME" which I have abstracted due to the constraints. I'm hoping this issue has been resolved.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,912)