cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joseabarriga
Frequent Visitor

I can't add a new field in a Powerapp Form

Hi, I am trying to feed a from with a collection and, even though the source is listed, there is no way to add new fields, as shown in the attached capture.

At the moment of this capture, the collection was created and with data.

Can someone give a hint of what I am doing wrong?

Thks!

Annotation 2020-07-09 192319.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@joseabarriga 

A collection cannot be used as the datasource for an Edit Form.  Instead, you must use a non-temporary datasource such as SharePoint.  Then you will be able to add fields.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

Hi @joseabarriga ,

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think you have some misunderstanding with the data source available in Edit form. Just as I mentioned above the Edit form could only be bind to standard tabular data source (e.g. SQL Table, SP list, Excel table, etc), rather than a variable (context variable, Collection, global variable) or a action data source (Azure function, custom connector, Office 365 Users, Office 365 Outlook, ....etc).

If you bind the Edit form to a a Excel table firstly, the Edit form could generated corresponding field data cards based on your Excel table columns, then you could enable these field data cards in your Edit form. But if you remove the Excel table data source from your Edit form, the enabled field data cards in your Edit form would not be removed automatically, it would still remain there, and all field data cards in your Edit form would be changed into "Custom" data card as your screenshot mentioned.

When you bind the Edit form to your collection table, it just like the field data cards is generated from your Collection, NO!, actually, these field data cards is generated from your Excel table.

More details about data source types supported in PowerApps, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/connections-list

Please check if the above reply could help in your scenario. If it is helpful, please consider go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" to identify my reply as helpful.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@joseabarriga 

A collection cannot be used as the datasource for an Edit Form.  Instead, you must use a non-temporary datasource such as SharePoint.  Then you will be able to add fields.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @joseabarriga ,

According to the issue that you mentioned, actually, it is an known issue in PowerApps canvas app.

Currently, within PowerApps app, the Edit form could only be bind to standard tabular data source, e.g. SQL Table, SP List, Excel table, ...etc, the Collection is essentially a variable in canvas app rather than a standard tabular data source.

Even though, you set the DataSource property of the Edit form to your collection, the Edit form would not generate related field data cards for your collection.

If you want to create a new entry into your Collection based on the entered value within different controls, you could consider add individual controls (e.g. TextInput box, DatePicker, ComboBox, Dropdown, ....) for collecting entry in your app, then you could use the Patch function to patch entry into your collection table. The standard formula format of Patch function as below:

Patch(
      'Your Collection',
      Defaults('Your Collection'),
      {
         Column1: TextInput1.Text,
         Column2: TextInput2.Text,
         Column3: TextInput3.Text,
      }
)

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@mdevaney,  as a matter of fact, it does work ( as shown in the screen capture) but It "freezes" for new fields... Let me explain to you what I did:

As you and @v-xida-msft  correctly pointed, this forms needs another kind of data source such as excel. Well, when I first created the Form that is on the screen ( frmActualizcionToken), I connected it to an Excel file, since It was only a prototipe. Then, I switched to an Azure Functions custom connector that, based in some parameters, it returns a dataset that is stored in a collection named DatosActualizaToken which has the same fields that the excel file had. I replaced the data source from Excel to the collection and it worked fine.  The only "wear" thing is that when I am in edit mode the Form stands for not being connected to a Datasource even though it is connected. Maybe for edit (update) mode, It is really not connected but just for displaying values is fine.

What happens to me now is that I added a few new files to the dataset, I found out that was impossible. As you can see in "+ Add Fields" windows the screen, it says that " There are no fields in this control" and, as I told before, there are.

Thanks for your support!

screen.png

Hi @joseabarriga ,

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think you have some misunderstanding with the data source available in Edit form. Just as I mentioned above the Edit form could only be bind to standard tabular data source (e.g. SQL Table, SP list, Excel table, etc), rather than a variable (context variable, Collection, global variable) or a action data source (Azure function, custom connector, Office 365 Users, Office 365 Outlook, ....etc).

If you bind the Edit form to a a Excel table firstly, the Edit form could generated corresponding field data cards based on your Excel table columns, then you could enable these field data cards in your Edit form. But if you remove the Excel table data source from your Edit form, the enabled field data cards in your Edit form would not be removed automatically, it would still remain there, and all field data cards in your Edit form would be changed into "Custom" data card as your screenshot mentioned.

When you bind the Edit form to your collection table, it just like the field data cards is generated from your Collection, NO!, actually, these field data cards is generated from your Excel table.

More details about data source types supported in PowerApps, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/connections-list

Please check if the above reply could help in your scenario. If it is helpful, please consider go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" to identify my reply as helpful.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,095)