cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert94
Helper V
Helper V

I`m New Here. Tips on how to learn, what classes to take, what to read, what to watch...? I want to become really good at this.

So as the title says, I am new. I just started working for a company that builds PowerApps. I like what I.m doing, and I want to become really good at this. I don.t have coding background. I am asking from your experience, maybe you could give some tips on how to start learning coding and creating in PowerApps. Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Nogueira1306
Super User
Super User

For me, what really helped me, was whatching Reza and Shane videos:

https://www.youtube.com/c/RezaDorrani

https://www.youtube.com/c/ShaneYoungCloud

If you need additional help please tag me in your reply and please like my reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, pleased mark it as a solution ✔️!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Nogueira

Check my LinkedIn!

Check my User Group (pt-PT)!

Last Post on Community

My website!

abdellahgartoum
Frequent Visitor

Hello Robert94  

all you need is here and free from microsoft.

https://docs.microsoft.com/fr-ca/learn/powerplatform/

Best regards,

Gartoumi Abdellah

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

AJ_Z
Super User
Super User

Okay well the first place to learn is:

Microsoft Lean - 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/powerplatform/power-apps

It has a lot of great information on the topic.

Many members of the community post blogs or youtube videos which can be very helpful:

I will list a few great youtube contributors below but there are so many more people:

Finally when I started (this was a few years ago so things may have changed) I felt I learnt quickest by getting stuck in and start building and then I referred to others and online resources whenever i got stuck. 

If you appreciated my comments/responses please be sure to Like/Kudo them it really does make me smile 🙂 !

How long did it take you to feel like you have a decent amount of knowledge?

It depends on your backgorund of programming, how many hours are you dedicating to it, the projects that you have, etc

If you need additional help please tag me in your reply and please like my reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, pleased mark it as a solution ✔️!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Nogueira

Check my LinkedIn!

Check my User Group (pt-PT)!

Last Post on Community

My website!

First I started my journey with Canvas Apps, Learning the basics of Forms, Galleries, Sharepoint Lists and Dataverse. After two months I would say I was confident with this/the basics.

Then I spent another month becoming more confident with the DisplayMode, Visible, Items, Default and DefaultSelectedItems properties of Inputs and other components I added. This helped me to do more cool stuff in my app.

Within 6 months I was very confident with elements of functionality/getting things to do what I want. I also dabbled with Power Automate in this time and started with basics. e.g. email notifications and then branched out in to more areas. I also began building some model driven apps at this time.

By month 8 I was able to start teaching people the basics. 

after a year I was very confident and became much better at design. I still continued to learn some bits to improve my skills.

After 2 years somewhere in this time I learnt some Power BI Desktop.

And as of now I am confident in Power Apps, Power Automate and Power BI. It has been quite a few years now and I still like to see what others do in the forums and check out new things. You always need to keep up to date with new/cool/better ways of doing things. 

I hope this summary of my journey helps you get an idea of what you might experience. 🙂

If you appreciated my comments/responses please be sure to Like/Kudo them it really does make me smile 🙂 !

AmDev
Super User
Super User

@Robert94 - you have some great advice there.

The one thing I would say in terms of watching content, there is a lot of it available and it can be overwhelming if you jump straight into some of the more recent content. I would recommend looking for beginner videos / earlier content from the creators listed above so you grasp the fundamentals.

Also look for content that covers Working with Forms and Galleries (the two most widely used controls in Power Apps). 

I would also recommend trying the template apps available when you go into create in Power Apps - notably, the two Power Apps Training apps - these are great!

AmDev_0-1643283655991.png

Lastly (and I wish I had availed of this advice on occasions!) - It's important that you just get stuck in, have a go, try your best, make mistakes and learn from those mistakes - BUT, when you get stuck come to this forum to get the support you need that will allow you to move on with the rest of your builds - Don't spend hours and hours trying to figure something out that could be answered on here in a few mins 🙂

Good luck with your Power Apps Journey - It's a great one to be on!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,541)