cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FL1
Frequent Visitor

I'm not using a patch function, but I'm getting a patch function error (Edit form submit button set to SubmitForm(Form1)

In my new app I'm using simple Edit Form with a Submit button set to SubmitForm(Form1).  When I run the app checker in edit mode, no errors show. When I run the app from edit mode, complete all the fields and click Submit, I get this error: "Network error when using Patch functions: the requested operation is invalid". 

All googling has led to answers that deal with patch functions (obvs) but as I'm not using one, I'm not sure how to proceed. Anyone seen this before of have any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@FL1 

You need to click on the actual event in the event list.

Once you do, the details will show on the right and you will have "tabs" of information to choose from:

RandyHayes_0-1665677662658.png

The tabs will be dependent on the event operations.  The above is a data operation.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@FL1 

SubmitForm actually uses a Patch statement under the covers.

This is usually an indication that you are providing an invalid column value to one of your columns in the datasource.

First, ask yourself what you have changed in the form to this point as, out of the box, the form should operate without any error.  So, it is usually a change that has been made that is the source of the issue.

Next, if you can't pinpoint the issue by deduction, then utilize the Monitor tool to observe the app event that is in error.  The request and response of that event should provide some guidance.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

Hi - thank you for the quick response.  I've identified the issue - one of the fields has column validation on it.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@FL1 

Yes, those type of things will cause the error.  The Monitor tool would identify this as well in the future.

The monitoring tool just gave me an error about being unable to create a row on this occasion it wasn't so helpful! 

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@FL1 

Did you review the request and response data tab of the event?  It should provide a ton of detail!

Maybe I'm using the wrong monitor as I don't see a request/response tab?

monitor.jpg

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@FL1 

You need to click on the actual event in the event list.

Once you do, the details will show on the right and you will have "tabs" of information to choose from:

RandyHayes_0-1665677662658.png

The tabs will be dependent on the event operations.  The above is a data operation.

FL1
Frequent Visitor

Ahh - yes I did see that pane but didnt notice the tabs there - thank you! Your help is much appreciated 

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@FL1 

Happy to help!

By the way...the Monitor tool is indispensable!!  It will provide SO much information about everything in the app that is going on.  Once you get used to it, you will find it to be a great tool.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,369)