cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

IDE Issues - When I hit tab, it inserts random text.

Getting very frustrated with the whole PowerApps platform.  This is a new one.  When I try and edit code, if I hit tab, it inserts random text.  The only solution is to reverse the changes, save and reopen PowerApps project and try again.

bhalicki_0-1603237833924.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hi,

Tab by default inserts the intellisense suggested item.

If you are trying to 'tab' items to indent them, unfortunately you will have to re-adjust your way of thinking from existing IDE standards - I am also used to tabbing in VSCode and other IDEs, but in Power Apps if you want to do this you can use 
Ctrl+] or Ctrl+[ to indent that line in or out

Cheers,

Sancho

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hi,

Tab by default inserts the intellisense suggested item.

If you are trying to 'tab' items to indent them, unfortunately you will have to re-adjust your way of thinking from existing IDE standards - I am also used to tabbing in VSCode and other IDEs, but in Power Apps if you want to do this you can use 
Ctrl+] or Ctrl+[ to indent that line in or out

Cheers,

Sancho

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi Sancho,

Thanks for the tips, i'll try that next time.  The annoying thing is, sometimes tab seems to work, other times it inserts the intellisense.  Some consistency and alignment would be nice.

Kind regards,

Ben.

Highlighted

Yeah, agree its a bit of a pain,

Did a bit more experimenting and there's actually a somewhat illogical consistency to it - so the funny thing is that when the IDE can't properly interpret your code, i.e. a missing " somewhere or a random inserted character, then it allows tabbing because it can't figure out what intellisense item to insert.

So.. if you want to use tab to indent/outdent, insert a random character on a new line at the top of your code, like an 'a', then you can use tab on all of the code below it, then just remove the character after you're done 🤔

Cheers,

Sancho

@iAm_ManCat

Thanks!
Sancho Harker, MVP

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,149)