Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shwethegde
Level: Powered On

IMP:SharePoint groups in Powerapps

Hello,

Has anyone tried below scenario?

1. I have set of users in sharepoint group

2. On load of powerapp, I will check if current user belongs to Sharepoint group

3. If he is part of the group, then load all the items in the screen

I am unable to achieve this for some reason. Can anyone please share your inputs.

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

Re: IMP:SharePoint groups in Powerapps

There isn't any functionality that I am aware of that will get members of a SharePoint group. You could create a list in your site that contains all the users that should have access to all the fields and then OnStart or OnVisible of PowerApps you could pull that information in and use it to determine if the user can see all the fields or just some of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
shwethegde

Hello,

Thank you for the response. I am afraid that we cannot read it from list as there are many users whom we should maintain. And also I believe saving in list is not recommended.

It’s really important that there should be option to view based on sharepoint and there will be many actions which we perform based on groups.

Hope Microsoft introduces this.
Super User
Super User

@shwethegde

this could be a workaround. i can't confirm it as I can't check for other users.

First, add any one of the exisitng lists in your sharepoint group as a datasource. If you don't have a list just creat a dummy list so that you can connect to sharepoint. Note: the list should have the same permission as the sharepoint group

then, to test this out insert a label in the app and set its text property to 

If(IsEmpty( Errors('SharepointListname')),"true","false" )

So , if the user has permissions, no errors will be returned, whereas if the user isn't a part of the sharepoint group some permission error will be returned and thus the Errors table won't be empty.

Check and let me know if it works. You will probably have to ask someone outside the group to open the app and check it.

Vivek Bavishi aka That API Guy
PowerApps and Flow MVP
Blog | Twitter | YouTube | Community Profile | GitHub

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Super User
Super User

@shwethegde

the earlier one might not work, so try this -

If(DataSourceInfo( 'SharepointListName', DataSourceInfo.ReadPermission),"has access","doesn't have access")

or 

If(DataSourceInfo( 'SharepointListName', DataSourceInfo.EditPermission),"has access","doesn't have access")

Check this for DataSourceInfo documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/functions/function-datasourceinfo 

Vivek Bavishi aka That API Guy
PowerApps and Flow MVP
Blog | Twitter | YouTube | Community Profile | GitHub

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

skylitedave
Level 10

This is clever...  

The only downside is the underlying sharepoint list holding the data doesn't know anything about the PowerApps trick, so that data in those columns you hide in PowerApps could be viewed in the underlying list if the user has access to the list

It may be better to store the data you want to hide in another list and set the form to read data from the list holding that secure data...

Highlighted
dhawalseth

Hi,

It is late, probably too late. However, the community continued to work. Here is a link which can help you out.

Vote the idea here

Answer to your prayers

Have a look and feel free to discuss further.

val43

that only works if you have an Admin Flow license..

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,743)