cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave8
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

If canvas app can be shared with guest user, then why should one create a PowerApps Portal?

Hello,

If canvas app can be shared with guest user of Azure AD, then why should one create a PowerApps Portal?

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

First, the Portal provides more of a web site feel that includes an app, rather than just the app running in a browsers.

Second, because the Portal provides for anonymous user access, so the user doesn't need to be in your Azure AD or have additional licensing.  The portal is licensed separately.

There are other reasons, but those are the two main ones that come to mind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
dave8
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @Pstork1 

tablet app can be created with web site look as well if we increase it's size that might work in web and app both, however I am unsure by doing so what difference remain between tablet app and portal app.

The key difference I see as you have mentioned is "Anonymous Access" , however as portal app comes with separate licenses and probably require HTML/CSS code - doesn't comes as handy as canvas app yet in terms of low  code solution.

Do you think, if there is no need of "Anonymous" access then creating canvas app with website sort of look for all screen size would be doable/achievable?

Thanks,

Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Yes, it would be doable, but there would still be challenges.  For example, although you can access a Power App on the web using a URL, you need to know what the specific URL is.  The portal is addressable as an actual web site, not a specific page in a web site.  The portal can also support multiple apps, where an app built as a web site is only one app.

dave8
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

What does it mean by portal app supporting multiple apps? can you please share the reference link explaining the same?

Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

A Power Apps portal can contain multiple pages.  You can embed a different Power App on each page.  Take a look at the following MS Learning plan for more details.

Get Started with Power Apps portals - Learn | Microsoft Docs

dave8
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Is portal app aligned with any screen size/devices?

Thanks,

Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The Portal is a web site.  There is no specific size. It will depend on the size of the browser looking at the portal.  

I could probably provide a better answer if I had some idea of what you are trying to accomplish.  Power Apps and the Power Apps portal are different implementations with different purposes.  They really aren't interchangeable.

dave8
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I have checked portal app in the chrom browser to see if that supports all devices, but it seems only tablet screen it stay aligned, while in other devices/screen size, it does not support all screen size.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,464)