Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anthony_Dob
Helper I
Helper I

Implement QR Code scanner in Power Apps Portal

Hi everyone,

I have a use case that i need to implement a QR Code scanner into a Portal Site. Anyone has experience with this? I think this will be a custom Javascript function that i need to implement? How do i get started with this?

Best Regards,

Anthony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Anthony_Dob 

Unfortunately is is not supported natively. You can upvote this here: Generate a QR code for app from Power Apps portal 

In meantime, can try something like this:

However you can try this trick Scanning a QR code to open a powerapp 

In the place of using a URL of canvas app of the above example, you can try similar like that but try to use by guid of logged in user including even external user - or some other info like this - to generate unique QR code off of it.

Unsure regarding if the above is very compatible, and maybe it is not complicated enough - but if it is compatible and otherwise can do what you want it to, maybe it works for you or could lead to something similar which works for you.

For now it is all I can think of quickly that might be possibly "easy" to pull off as well. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
poweractivate
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anthony_Dob 

Try embed Canvas App with QR Code scanner in Power Apps Portal like this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/embed-apps-dev

Try that way, I think it is easier than other ways.

If you cannot do the above as it does not fit the requirement, you can consider these harder ways here:

Can we create a QR Code and a way to scan QR code to get the entity data in power app portal 

Check if above helps.

@poweractivate I don't know if that is a possibility because a lot of people who will be using the Portal App will be external people. It will be for a event.

Best Regards,

Anthony

@Anthony_Dob Then or you could use any QR generator of your choice to integrate it with your external users. Also you could check in the linked thread, I think some of those ways in that thread are geared more for public or external users.

@poweractivate the first issue i found with the QR Code scanner code from Schmich is that it is not compatible with IOS.. Any other options, examples i can be helped with?

@Anthony_Dob 

Unfortunately is is not supported natively. You can upvote this here: Generate a QR code for app from Power Apps portal 

In meantime, can try something like this:

However you can try this trick Scanning a QR code to open a powerapp 

In the place of using a URL of canvas app of the above example, you can try similar like that but try to use by guid of logged in user including even external user - or some other info like this - to generate unique QR code off of it.

Unsure regarding if the above is very compatible, and maybe it is not complicated enough - but if it is compatible and otherwise can do what you want it to, maybe it works for you or could lead to something similar which works for you.

For now it is all I can think of quickly that might be possibly "easy" to pull off as well. 

View solution in original post

@poweractivate ,

Thank you for your help. I did some research as well and i don't think there is a easy way to have a Barcode Scanner inside a Portal App (It would need custom Javascript code). I'll look into the option that people scan the QR code to open up the portal app.

Best regards,

Anthony

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,671)