cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Benogo
Frequent Visitor

Importing Data from an Excel File In a canvas App

Hello,

I am building a power app. The user receives an excel sheet of a shipment every week and he has to create a shipment in the app. The excel sheet comes with a standard set of columns. I need some advice with pros and cons of the options I have. See the data received in the table below:

Customer NameCustomer Code# PackagesContact MobileWeight (kg)
Cost ($)Shipment Number
Jeff Brade357TEST2123475654356.44SWIN-001-JAN
Test Ninja358TEST1352471231621.00SWIN-002-JAN
TEST NINJA404TEST3321487523849.56SWIN-003-JAN
  1.  Onedrive Excel File: Connect a Gallery to the excel file on Onedrive as a Datasource. When the user receives a new Excel file, he will go into the file on Onedrive and paste the new data. The app would refresh the data source with the Onvisible property of the screen. A create shipment button can then be used to create the records in the dataverse.
  2. Paste in Text Area: Text input area on a screen within the app. Data is copied from the excel table and when pasted in this text area it will populate a Gallery on the same screen with the same data. A create shipment button can then be used to create the records in the dataverse.
  3. Dataflows: Create a dataflow. I am not very comfortable with this because I am worried that it would break easily depending on how the flow is configured. I would appreciate help on the steps to configure the flow such that when a new excel sheet arrives it can be stored somewhere, the flow would detect the new file. Go into the file retrieve the data and create the record in the dataverse.
  4. Excel Power Apps Addin: Configure the adin to connect to the dataverse and allow the user add and publish data. This is probably not best practice.

Any other ideas for solving this is most certainly welcome.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Benogo ,

I have a blog on Option#2 that may be of assistance.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

Benogo
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @WarrenBelz  I actually used some of the info to build the option 2 already. Just trying to see if it's a good way to solve the challenge.

Hi @Benogo ,

I do not use (for many good reasons) Excel and also do not dabble in Data Flows, so can only offer Option#2

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (1,741)