cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roblu001
Frequent Visitor

Importing Excel into Sharepoint List without a table

Hello,

I get an excel file emailed to me every morning from a Vendor. The excel file has a sheet to which I would like to import into a sharepoint list. The excel file has 1 sheet and no tables, the problem is that I cannot seem to get power apps to recognize the sheet without a table and the file does not have a table present in it. Is there a way for flow to read each line in the sheet and reference the column by letter opposed to named table range?

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I got it solved! I started with 3 flows:

1. save the excel attachment that comes in daily

2. create a table in the excel file

3. import into sharepoint

I ran into an issue, that because the file is being replaced it gets a new unique ID each time and the flow couldn't find the referenced file.

I re-visited the flow that pulls in the file from the email and added to it the steps to create a table then import into the list. The flow works like this:

when email is received -> if its from the specific address -> it saves the file -> the table is created in the file with the unique ID created earlier with a range that exceeds the number of rows expected -> the table rows are read from the file with the unique ID from earlier -> if the row isn't blank the row is imported into the list.

its working swimmingly!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@roblu001 

Not easily.  Tables are expected in the Excel file to be able to reference the information.

You might consider using the CreateTable action in your Flow to create a Table based on a range.  You can at least create it and then use it in further down processing in your flow.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Great!

I used that "create a table" trick and was able to get my flow to work... once. How would I create a flow that works like this:

Create a table -> list rows from table just created -> apply to each (create item in sharepoint list)

I tried it in 2 separate flows, however, the table UUID changes

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@roblu001 

That is exactly what I had in mind!

I'm confused though - once you create a named table in the file, it should be there from that point forward.  You should be able to reference it then by its name.  Is that not happening?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Hello,

I got it solved! I started with 3 flows:

1. save the excel attachment that comes in daily

2. create a table in the excel file

3. import into sharepoint

I ran into an issue, that because the file is being replaced it gets a new unique ID each time and the flow couldn't find the referenced file.

I re-visited the flow that pulls in the file from the email and added to it the steps to create a table then import into the list. The flow works like this:

when email is received -> if its from the specific address -> it saves the file -> the table is created in the file with the unique ID created earlier with a range that exceeds the number of rows expected -> the table rows are read from the file with the unique ID from earlier -> if the row isn't blank the row is imported into the list.

its working swimmingly!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (2,172)