cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ousselg
Frequent Visitor

Importing canvas app to another tenant goes wrong

I exported a powerapp from a dev tenant I don't have anymore, when I requested a new dev tenant I tried importing the app.

It keeps failing when importing the flow part. 

Is there a way to edit the json file to skip that step or take the whole flow part out of the import?

I deleted the flow folder but that didn't do the trick.

This is the error I get:

Ousselg_0-1639571103799.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@BCLS776 

The export will produce a zip file in it.  In that zip file will be a manifest.json file.  Although I have never had a need to modify it, it would seem feasible to remove the dependency to the flow.

You'd need to scroll through that file and find the record for the flow and remove it and then make sure you take note of the guid for that flow and remove that from the dependency list.

If you just want the app itself, in that zip file you will find a Microsoft.PowerApps folder.  In that is an apps folder. In that folder you will find some long number folder, and in that folder you will eventually find a GUID named file with an MSAPP extension.  That is the app!

If you pull that out and then open it (not import it, but open) in the designer...that will be the app.  You will have bunches of errors because none of the dependencies will have been brought in, but you will have the app.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BCLS776
Super User
Super User

If the app has an associated flow, are you exporting/importing a Solution or just the app on its own? A Solution would work much better.

Bryan

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Ousselg
Frequent Visitor

It's a app not a solution. I don't have access anymore to the tenant so is there a way to skip the flow part or change the json file? 

BCLS776
Super User
Super User

Well, I think there's a way around this, but haven't done it myself. Ready for an adventure?

We can directly edit the json files for the app using VS Code. You'll start by downloading that IDE plus the extensions for Power Apps. Then, import your app so we can look at the raw files. 

I am also calling in some help to see if they can provide some advice: @RandyHayes , @StalinPonnusamy , @ChrisPiasecki

Fellas, this Maker has an app with a dependent flow (not in a Solution) that is failing on import, probably due to the non-existent flow reference in their target environment. Other than editing the source files, can you think of another way around this? If we have to edit source files, do you know which fields this Maker will need to edit to get something that will import? In the end, they will need to recreate/reconnect the SharePoint List and flow too.

Bryan

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@BCLS776 

The export will produce a zip file in it.  In that zip file will be a manifest.json file.  Although I have never had a need to modify it, it would seem feasible to remove the dependency to the flow.

You'd need to scroll through that file and find the record for the flow and remove it and then make sure you take note of the guid for that flow and remove that from the dependency list.

If you just want the app itself, in that zip file you will find a Microsoft.PowerApps folder.  In that is an apps folder. In that folder you will find some long number folder, and in that folder you will eventually find a GUID named file with an MSAPP extension.  That is the app!

If you pull that out and then open it (not import it, but open) in the designer...that will be the app.  You will have bunches of errors because none of the dependencies will have been brought in, but you will have the app.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!
Ousselg
Frequent Visitor

This worked, thanks for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Carousel_PP_768x460_Wave2 (1).png

2022 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2022 through March 2023.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,984)