cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Importing excel into Sharepoint from Powerapps

My apologies, I have posted this question in the past - it was marked as solved but the solution provided wasn't what I was looking for. This Powerapp project is a side task that I move back in forth on every so often. It's been about a month since I was able to work on it last. I'll provide some more information to help clarify my intent.

My App is intended to track parts during manufacturing. A list is kept in Sharepoint which my App primarily draws data from. The issue is adding data into the sharepoint list. While it's not that dificult to do, I'd like to streamline the process.

Currently the process is this: 1) Bill of Material and part data is generated in CAD software and exported into excel. The export file has the same colum setup as the srepoint list. 2) the data is then copied and pasted directly into the master sharepoint list.

The ideal situation would be to interface only though the App to ammend the sharepoint list with the list of parts that need to be added.

Is this a possiblity?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Importing excel into Sharepoint from Powerapps

@tbenge05 

From what I can tell it sounds like you want to import records from an Excel file to a Sharepoint list.  To this you will have to build a Flow and connect it to PowerApps.  I recommend you try to build the Flow 1st (and forget about PowerApps until you've tested this portion).  This video shows the basic technique.  If you have any questions the Flow community will be able help you out.

Link to Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTLJr4U_Gho

Then once you have built the Flow the PowerApps community could help you with building the attachment field.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tbenge05 ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to sync data from your Excel table into your SP List?

If you want to sync data from your Excel table into your SP List, I think the ForAll function and Patch function could achieve your needs.

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

Firstly, please make sure that you have formatted the data in your Excel file has been formatted as a Table already.

Set the OnSelect property of the "Submit" button in your app to following:

ForAll(
          'YourExcelTable',
           Patch(
                     'YourSPList',
                      Defaults('YourSPList'),
                       {
                          Column1:  'YourExcelTable'[@Column1],
                          Column2:  'YourExcelTable'[@Column2],
                          Column3:  'YourExcelTable'[@Column3],
                       }
           )
)

More details about ForAll and Patch function, please chech the following article:

ForAll function, Patch function

Please consider take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Regular Visitor

Excel data is generated on a case by case basis by multiple individuals. The Excel data utilizes a template so it matches 1 for 1 the setup of the Sharepoint table. I'll give your code a go, I think I want to replace 'YourExcelTable' with some sort of document search function so the user can navigate to the table they've generated - that's doable, right?
I'm exploring the flow route too, but the video link uses a static file to update sharepoint, as in the name doesn't change and is always in the same directory. I'm seeking further assistance with this in the Flow community.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tbenge05 ,

Yeah, you are right. Have you taken a try with the Patch function that I mentioned above?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think the solution I provided above could achieve your needs. Please consider take a try with it, then check if the solution is helpful in your scenario.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,428)