cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PowerGirl
Resolver I
Resolver I

In a collection, how to create a column where the values should be: multiply a percentage in this item by a the number in the same column but from the item before.

Hello everyone! I really, really need your help.

I need to calculate the total annual spend and the net present value for different projects. For that I have the following information in a table (sample info): 

Annual average volume   4000

Program life time in years    8

Cost reductions    3% in 3 years 2% in 2 years

Piece price 1.50 

The Rate% for the Present value calculation will be given in an input field in the app

I attached the table I need to create/simulate to be able to perform these calculations in excel. The explanation is as follows:

1. First I need to create a table with number of items from 0 to program life time in years . I store an index in the first column. 

2. For column 2 I need to transform the text in the column "Cost reductions" to a column stating the year 0 no cost  reductions, the next three years a reduction of 3% and the next 2 years a reduction of 2%

3. For column 3 I need to calculate the piece price for each year =Piece price of the previous year * (1-cost reduction of this year) (for the year 0 the piece price will be the one given in the item)

4. For the Total Spend column I need to multiply the calculated piece price of this year * annual average volume. The sum of this column will give me the Total Annual spend that I am looking for.

5. For the Present Value column I need to divide the total spend / (1-rate%)^ThisItem.year (the first column). The sum of this column will give me the Present Value

Until now I have created a collection as follows:

ForAll(Sequence(Value(Last(FirstN(Split(ThisItem.CostReduction, " "),3)).Result),1),Collect(Reduction1,{ReducPercentage:Last(FirstN(Split(ThisItem.CostReduction, " "),1)).Result,AnnualVol:LookUp(QBOM,QBOMIDinQBOM=ThisItem.QBOMIDinCBD1).TotalAnnualAvgCmpVolume,Index:CountRows(Reduction1)+1,PiecePrice:Left(Label64_1.Text,Find(" ",Label64_1.Text)),Spend:0}));
ForAll(Sequence(Value(Last(FirstN(Split(ThisItem.CostReduction, " "),7)).Result),1),Collect(Reduction2,{ReducPercentage:Last(FirstN(Split(ThisItem.CostReduction, " "),5)).Result,AnnualVol:LookUp(QBOM,QBOMIDinQBOM=ThisItem.QBOMIDinCBD1).TotalAnnualAvgCmpVolume,Index:CountRows(Reduction2)+CountRows(Reduction1)+1,PiecePrice:Left(Label64_1.Text,Find(" ",Label64_1.Text)),Spend:0}));
ForAll(Sequence(Value(Last(FirstN(Split(ThisItem.CostReduction, " "),11)).Result),1),Collect(Reduction3,{ReducPercentage:Last(FirstN(Split(ThisItem.CostReduction, " "),9)).Result,AnnualVol:LookUp(QBOM,QBOMIDinQBOM=ThisItem.QBOMIDinCBD1).TotalAnnualAvgCmpVolume,Index:CountRows(Reduction3)+CountRows(Reduction2)+CountRows(Reduction1)+1,PiecePrice:Left(Label64_1.Text,Find(" ",Label64_1.Text)),Spend:0}));
ForAll(Sequence(Value(Last(FirstN(Split(ThisItem.CostReduction, " "),15)).Result),1),Collect(Reduction4,{ReducPercentage:Last(FirstN(Split(ThisItem.CostReduction, " "),13)).Result,AnnualVol:LookUp(QBOM,QBOMIDinQBOM=ThisItem.QBOMIDinCBD1).TotalAnnualAvgCmpVolume,Index:CountRows(Reduction4)+CountRows(Reduction3)+CountRows(Reduction2)+CountRows(Reduction1)+1,PiecePrice:Left(Label64_1.Text,Find(" ",Label64_1.Text)),Spend:0}));
ClearCollect(Reduction,Reduction1,Reduction2,Reduction3,Reduction4); Clear(Reduction1);Clear(Reduction2);Clear(Reduction3);Clear(Reduction4);

as you can see the Piece Price the annual spend are not yet calculated. 

My questions:

Is there a better way to get the cost reductions into the collection (maybe dynamically)?

How can I create the column piece price? (I have tried with For All, Sequence, Patch, ThisRecord.Index-1 but I can not find the right combination and I can not patch in the same source as the for all) 

Is there a way to make a For All inside of a For All to make the calculation of the Total Annual Spend and the Present Value without creating a collection or how would you recommend me to do these calculations? 

Every help is welcome!

25 REPLIES 25
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@PowerGirl 

Actually, I pretty much understood where you were trying to get to.  @poweractivate there was an example shown in the first post that provides a clear enough example.  The only reasons for my questioning was that where @PowerGirl was on the particular problem being experienced was that it was FAR from the actual results expected.  In the first posting it was how to create a table on the given data.  That is simple enough, the challenge is that there are other mitigating aspects of the scenario that would apply to the overall solution (i.e. the Cost Reduction string).

Anyway, @PowerGirl I have this on my schedule to give you a good working solution.  It is not a trivial problem to solve as you have several factors in your example that I saw none of it being accounted for in your original formula.  Things like the fact that this a compounded amortization calculation with variable period rates.  Again, not a trivial formula.

I've been a little busy the past several days, so I will most certainly circle back on this and provided you something that you do not need to embed PowerBI or alter your datasource.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Thank you @RandyHayes , I am looking forward to your proposed solution. Like you mention, it is not a trivial formula. 

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@PowerGirl 

Me too! 😉  Actually, I have the formula worked out except for the final amortization value.  Didn't get as much time to review it that I thought today.  I will get that last value working and post a formula for you tomorrow.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@PowerGirl 

Okay...I got a chance to go over this some more.  

So, it's a relatively complex formula as you have multiple aspects of variation going on why calculating on each.

In my sample setup, I have 5 TextInput controls.  One for the Annual Volume, one for the Program Years, one for the Cost Reduction formula, one for the Piece Price and one for the Rate.

Unfortunately, doing all of this without a collection is not possible (as I had hoped we could eliminate) because we (during the calculation) need to refer back to a prior value while at the same time generating a new prior value.  The only way I know to do this is with the collection as you can add a record and refer (Lookup) at the same time on the same collection.

I have the formula below on a Button and then have Two labels on my sample setup.

One label has a Text property of : finalAmortResult.AnnualSpendTotal

and One has a Text property of :  finalAmortResult.AnnualSpendAmortization

I did not do any rounding on the final numbers because I found that your example table did calculations on NON-Rounded numbers and that was significant.  

When the final numbers are rounded, they are off by $0.01.  Since I don't know the original formulas you had in your spreadsheet, I would assume there was something significant there for rounding. 

Based on the sample you provided, the formula returns the exact numbers you highlighted as what you need.  The formula is flexible to allow for expansion of the Cost Reduction formula as we mentioned in prior posts - as long as they observe the <percentage> in <X Years> format.

And...here is the formula.  I commented most of it as you might not be familiar with all of the aspects of it.

Clear(colAmort);

// At the Outer Level we are defining scope variables for input the the formula.  The controls in this With should be changed to reflect controls in the app
With({_CostReductionString: txtCostReduction.Text,
      _years: Value(txtYearsInSchedule.Text),
      _piecePrice: Value(txtPiecePrice.Text),
      _pieceQuantity: Value(txtPieceAmount.Text),
      _annualSpend: 1+(Value(txtAnnualSpend.Text)/100)},
    // First outer level in With - define a table of periods, there will be one record for each rate change and this scope variable will serve as the primary table for the final calculation
    With({_periods: 
        // In this With (2nd outer level) - define the series for each rate change period.  This will define the starting values, percentage rates, and start and end 
        With({series:
            // Perform a regular expression on the cost reduction series and gather up to 4 years of percentage rates 
            // (note: regex can be expanded for more years as needed)
            // all of the Match information will be in _cr table
            With({_cr:Match(_CostReductionString,  
                  "^(?:(?<p1>\d+)%)?\D*(?:(?<years1>\d+))?\D*(?:(?<p2>\d+)%)?\D*(?:(?<years2>\d+))?\D*(?:(?<p3>\d+)%)?\D*(?:(?<years3>\d+))?\D*(?:(?<p4>\d+)%)?\D*(?:(?<years4>\d+))?")},
                // Create a table of records with information from the matches.  
                // Each record will have the Period sequential value, the Sequence Number, the percent from the cost reduction string and the years from the string.
                // Filter out empty years
                Filter(
                    // note: Sequence - half of the count of matches (as each has a percent and a year(s)), start at 1, skip every other number
                    ForAll(Sequence(CountRows(_cr.SubMatches)/2, 1, 2),
                        If(!IsBlank(Last(FirstN(_cr.SubMatches, Value)).Value),
                            {Period: Value,
                             Seq: (Value+1)/2,
                             Percent: Value(Last(FirstN(_cr.SubMatches, Value)).Value),
                             years: Value(Last(FirstN(_cr.SubMatches, Value+1)).Value)
                            }
                        )
                    ),
                    years>0
                )
           )},

// Create the series table.
            AddColumns(
                // create table from the sequence of all the series items (from the _cr).  
                // Adding two records to the series - one for starting period and one for ending period.  
                // It is assumed that year 0 is always the starting year with NO percentage change.
                // Start sequence at zero for year zero
                ForAll(Sequence(CountRows(series)+2,0),
                    // define a series year scope variable to calculate the starting year of the period
                    // get the sum of the prior period years and subtract out the years for the current period (add one to set bound)
                    With({sy:Sum(Filter(series, Seq<=Value), years) - Sum(Filter(series, Seq=Value), years)+1},
                       // Create record with sequential period number, start and end year of period, percent rate during period and starting Value (only for year 0)
                       {period:Value, 
                        start: If(Value=0, 0, sy), 
                        end: If(Value=0, 0, If(Value>Last(series).Seq, _years,  sy + LookUp(series, Seq=Value, years)-1)), 
                        pcnt: 1-(Coalesce(LookUp(series, Seq=Value, Percent),0)/100),
                        startValue: If(Value=0, _pieceQuantity * _piecePrice, 0),
                        amortRate: If(Value=0, 1, _annualSpend)
                       }
                    )
                ),
                // add a span helper column
                "Span", end-start+1
            )
        )},  //end of _period definition

// throw away loop - loop through all the _periods in sequence. 
        ForAll(Sequence(CountRows(_periods)),
            // Grab the period record that corresponds to the current sequence
            With({_periodRec: Last(FirstN(_periods, Value))},
                // Grab the prior sequence value from the prior record of the collection colAmort we are building.
                // If we are at 0 (the year that holds the starting value) use that startValue from the current period record (it will be year 0)
                With({_priorValue: If(_periodRec.startValue=0, Last(FirstN(colAmort, CountRows(colAmort))).EndValue, _periodRec.startValue)},
                    // Preform the calculations on each item in the sequence for the amounts
                    With({_spanCalculations: ForAll(Sequence(_periodRec.Span), {seq:Value, amt:_priorValue * (_periodRec.pcnt^Value)})},
                        // Collect a new record with the main calculations
                        Collect(colAmort,
                            {   
                            // Total value for the entire period
                            // Sum all of the amortized values for each year in the current period based on the period percentage and the opening value
                            // Amortization formula is : value * (percentage ^ YearNumber)
                            PeriodTotal: Sum(_spanCalculations, amt), // Value),
                            // Calculate the ending amortized value (used for the next period)
                            EndValue: _priorValue * (_periodRec.pcnt^_periodRec.Span),
                            // Calculate the amortized values based on the period amounts, adjusting for the year in the span
                            AmortTotal: Sum(ForAll(_spanCalculations, amt / (_periodRec.amortRate ^ (seq + _periodRec.start - 1) )), Value)
                            }
                        )
                    )
                )
            )
        )    
    );

);

// For convienience - a final record:
    Set(
    finalAmortResult, 
        {AnnualSpendTotal: Sum(colAmort, PeriodTotal),
         AnnualSpendAmortization: Sum(colAmort, AmortTotal)
        }
    )

I hope this is helpful for you.  Enjoy!!

Wow, thank you very much for your time and for the formula. I will try it and let you know my questions/results.

@RandyHayes 

I think I have easier questions this time. I tried your amazing formula and here are my questions:

1. I have evaluated 5 examples in the app with your formula and in the excel worksheet and I get all the same results except for example 2 (please see attachment). Might it be because the first 3 years are 0% reduction? I can not find the reason.

2. I want to compare the resulting Annual Spend Total and Annual Spend Amortization of different items in a gallery. Should I add this formula in an "add columns" for the collection I created? Or where should I perform this formula for it to calculate and display the values of the selected items? (I added a button in the gallery and two text labels to show the result, but it shows the same result in every item. How can I show the result of each separate item?)

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@PowerGirl 

Glad that we're making progress.  

Let me review this.  When I was putting that together I did only have the one sample, so I am anxious to see another and see how it fits.  I'm a little backlogged today, so let me check it over tomorrow.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@PowerGirl 

Sorry to take so long...trying to work through the backlog.

Do you happen to have the full spreadsheet view of the ones that do not match (like you had in the first example)?

I have looked through the calculations in the app formula and they look fine based on my understanding of the formulas in the Excel.  So...that means I must have inferred the wrong formula from the Excel.  If you have something like that, I believe that would help a lot.

@RandyHayes 

no problem, I appreciate your help. Please find attached the full spreadsheet view of the example 2. I believe it could be on the first 3 years 0% discount (that in reality they are 4 because the  year 0 is never considered) or maybe the program life time in years?

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@PowerGirl 

So I think there is an issue in your spreadsheet.  You show the the year 0 Annual spend as 918948.16.  From what I see in the column name, the annual spend is the year piece price multiplied by the annual volume.

You show 918948.16.  However 53558 * 17.16 = 919055.28

Is there a calculation that I am missing or is this a mistake in the spreadsheet?

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd. at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3rd, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!       Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪🌠

Tuesday Tips: Community Ranks and YOU

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!This Week: Community Ranks--Moving from "Member" to "Community Champion"   Have you ever wondered how your fellow community members ascend the ranks within our community? What sets apart an Advocate from a Helper, or a Solution Sage from a Community Champion? In today’s #TuesdayTip, we’re unveiling the secrets and sharing tips to help YOU elevate your ranking—and why it matters to our vibrant communities. Community ranks serve as a window into a member’s role and activity. They celebrate your accomplishments and reveal whether someone has been actively contributing and assisting others. For instance, a Super User is someone who has been exceptionally helpful and engaged. Some ranks even come with special permissions, especially those related to community management. As you actively participate—whether by creating new topics, providing solutions, or earning kudos—your rank can climb. Each time you achieve a new rank, you’ll receive an email notification. Look out for the icon and rank name displayed next to your username—it’s a badge of honor! Fun fact: Your Community Engagement Team keeps an eye on these ranks, recognizing the most passionate and active community members. So shine brightly with valuable content, and you might just earn well-deserved recognition! Where can you see someone’s rank? When viewing a post, you’ll find a member’s rank to the left of their name.Click on a username to explore their profile, where their rank is prominently displayed. What about the ranks themselves? New members start as New Members, progressing to Regular Visitors, and then Frequent Visitors.Beyond that, we have a categorized system: Kudo Ranks: Earned through kudos (teal icons).Post Ranks: Based on your posts (purple icons).Solution Ranks: Reflecting your solutions (green icons).Combo Ranks: These orange icons combine kudos, solutions, and posts. The top ranks have unique names, making your journey even more exciting! So dive in, collect those kudos, share solutions, and let’s see how high you can rank! 🌟 🚀   Check out the Using the Community boards in each of the communities for more helpful information!  Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,849)