cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sifu
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Incompatible for comparison (in a filter)

Hi All,

trying to do a filter which is somehow not accepting a value... its all a gallery where on top are few dropdowns that should be used to filter what to display in the gallery.... the other two are working fine but their content is based on the table, this one has its own values directly in the SPO column and I am unable to use it to filter....  any help is welcome

Sifu_0-1623762264222.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Sifu 

What is the items property of DropdownProjectType ?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

As the error message says, both the left and right side of the = are records, but they are evidently different types of records.  Check the fields inside the records and use one of the fields that is unique to do the comparison instead of the whole record.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Sifu
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

not sure i can follow what you mean.... but here is the column with some sample data

Sifu_0-1623763096304.png

...there's no data that would not match one of the choices... if that's what you ask...

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Sifu 

Your column is a choice column, you will need to use ProjectType.Value rather than just ProjectType in your formula.

You can also save yourself some typing in your formula and get rid of the redundant IsEmpty statements.  IsBlank on the result is all you need.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Sifu
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

that i tried @RandyHayes , still same:

Sifu_0-1623765338571.png

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Sifu 

What is the items property of DropdownProjectType ?

View solution in original post

Sifu
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Distinct('Program Management',ProjectType)

Sifu
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@RandyHayes ... good point, with Distinct('Program Management',ProjectType.value) it works!

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Sifu 

Yes, that will work better.  Before your Result columns would have contained a record {Value: something}

When you specify the Value in the formula, you will be performing the Distinct on the Record Value rather than the Record.

If you do not have "Allow write ins" enabled on the column in your source, then you would typically use the Choices function in your Items property rather than the Distinct function. 

The only difference is that it will return a table with a Value column rather than a Result column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza Winner Announcement

Please join us on Wednesday, July 21st at 8a PDT. We will be announcing the Winners of the Demo Extravaganza!

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,279)