cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kilaj1
Helper II
Helper II

InfoPath/Word Forms to PowerApps backend question

Im in the process of migrating/upgrading/creating PowerApps to replace a few, fairly large InfoPath forms and Word Templates.  Some InfoPath forms have over 300 Fields; for Employee onboarding, offboarding and updating, lots of custom company specific fields. I because very versed on building Infopath forms over the years but not so much with PowerApps from the coding side and there will be a lot of coding required for these forms.

The one I'm working on now, I had a hard time figuring out when to use what tool/feature. I.e. Dataverse vs SharePoint list, have the power app pull from SharePoint list or embed everything in the PowerApps ect. 

I settled on imbedding everything in the PowerApps since it requires little changes after its complete. I've some understanding of collections for my repeating tables.IM working on the conditional navigation,  Ill have attachments as well (think I got that correctly) and I think I understand how to send all the inputs to a SharePoint list. Users will be able to edit existing records within the app (once I setup a filterable and searchable galley).The end result would be a generated a PDF based on the inputs.

What I wanted to ask was if what I'm doing so far makes sense to continue down this path or consider other options

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@kilaj1 

Ah I understand.  Yes, you can "hard-code" the values in your app, but if you think they will ever change, then I would suggest putting in a list.

As for when to consider Dataverse....that will be about when you want to spend money.  If you are using the licensing for PowerApps that comes with Office 365 for free, then put Dataverse out of your mind.  

If you need Dataverse, realize that you will need to shell out a monthly charge for each user.

There is no too small or large for Dataverse, but there is a different license needed to use it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@kilaj1 

I would say you are on the right path.  I don't quite understand what you mean by bringing everything into PowerApps though.  I would assume this would be based around a SharePoint list.

Once you get going with PowerApps, you will find it much easier than InfoPath.  Just don't think in terms of "code" - PowerApps is a No-Code platform.  It uses derived formulas for everything, much like Excel.  So, if you know how to do formulas in Excel, you will adjust easily.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

Thanks for the reply, when I say bring it into PowerApps, I was looking to have dropdown list pulling from SharePoint, vs putting the entries directly into the control itself. Essentially only the output goes to SharePoint.

At what point do you start thinking about using the Dataverse for the backend though? Is it just for taking advantage of the fancy features or is it the size of the PowerApp you create?

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@kilaj1 

Ah I understand.  Yes, you can "hard-code" the values in your app, but if you think they will ever change, then I would suggest putting in a list.

As for when to consider Dataverse....that will be about when you want to spend money.  If you are using the licensing for PowerApps that comes with Office 365 for free, then put Dataverse out of your mind.  

If you need Dataverse, realize that you will need to shell out a monthly charge for each user.

There is no too small or large for Dataverse, but there is a different license needed to use it.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (422)