cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pridti
Regular Visitor

Inherit Contact from record when creating new record in subgrid

Hi,

I'm building a model-driven app, I have two entities that are connected to the Contact entity, Employments, and Incomes. These are 1:n. 

Employment also has 1:n relationship to income and on the Employment form I have a subgrid for Income records. 

When I add an employment it is linked to the Contact Record, and when I add an income directly from the Contact record they are linked & show on subgrids on the Contact form. But, when I add an income from the Employment form using the subgrid there, the Contact lookup field remains blank and I have to go into the subgrid on the Contact form to manually connect the records. 

Is there any way to have the Income record inherit the Employment records' Contact when it is created from the Subgrid?

Many thanks

Pete 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-siky-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pridti ,

There is no OOB tool to inherit from the parent record, but I think your requirement can be implemented by MS Flow.

Create a Automated Flow triggered when a new Income record is created.

List the record from parent entity(employment) based on the LookUp field of record from trigger. 

List the record from Contact entity based on the LookUp field of record from above employment entity.

Update the new-created record of Income entity, save the above contact record into LookUp field(Contact)

Then the Contact of Parent entity(employment) will be also saved to the income record.

Hope this helps.

Sik

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-siky-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pridti ,

There is no OOB tool to inherit from the parent record, but I think your requirement can be implemented by MS Flow.

Create a Automated Flow triggered when a new Income record is created.

List the record from parent entity(employment) based on the LookUp field of record from trigger. 

List the record from Contact entity based on the LookUp field of record from above employment entity.

Update the new-created record of Income entity, save the above contact record into LookUp field(Contact)

Then the Contact of Parent entity(employment) will be also saved to the income record.

Hope this helps.

Sik

Hey, that makes sense. Thanks so much for the reply.

Pete 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,987)