cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nealhicks1
Level: Powered On

Inputting both numbers and text into a PowerApps field

Hello again everyone 🙂

Just as brief background, I have a PowerApps form that is connected to a SharePoint Online list.

I'm wondering, is it possible to allow users to input both numbers as well as text into a PowerApps field? So far, I've only been able to figure out how to set the field type to either Number, or Text.

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Inputting both numbers and text into a PowerApps field

Hi @nealhicks1

Can you check if you have set the "Employee ID Number" Column  as a text field in SharePoint? 

Vivek Bavishi aka That API Guy
PowerApps and Flow MVP
Blog | Twitter | YouTube | Community Profile | GitHub

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

The error in the screenshot appears to be coming from SharePoint. So @ThatAPIGuy,  wants you to check and see what type of column is being used in SharePoint for this PowerApps field. Maybe it would be easier to take a screenshot of the List setting page where it list all the column names.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

10 REPLIES 10
Meneghino
Level 10

Field type text will allow both (I assume you mean the Format property of a text input, see below).  It is how you post the data to SharePoint and the SharePoint column data type that will determine the result.

1.JPG

Super User
Super User

The format of an input field can only be Text or Number. If you are mixing text and numbers in your field then you will want your field to be text. This is also how it works in a SharePoint list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
nealhicks1

Okay, For some reason, even though I've selected "Text" as my field / data type, I get the "An entry is required or has an invalid value. Please correct and try again." message when I put in anything that isn't a number. I don't understand why it's not accepting even straight up text, when I input only text. 

Any thoughts on this? I did try deleting and recreating the field, just to see if maybe something was buggy with it.

Thanks everyone!

Super User
Super User

When do you see the error and can you provide a screenshot of the error? Also can you provide a screenshot of the advance property pane of the field giving you the error?

nealhicks1

@Jeff_Thorpe,

Here's a screenshot of the error message (incidentally, it is affecting two different fields, but the error and symptoms are identical):

image.png

Here's a screenshot of the Properties tab of the Employee ID Number field (which is the one I'm focusing on in this thread):

image.png

Here's a series of screenshots showing the Advanced tab:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thanks again for taking a look at this.

Super User
Super User

Hi @nealhicks1

Can you check if you have set the "Employee ID Number" Column  as a text field in SharePoint? 

Vivek Bavishi aka That API Guy
PowerApps and Flow MVP
Blog | Twitter | YouTube | Community Profile | GitHub

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

nealhicks1

@ThatAPIGuy, basically whta I'm trying to do is allow the input of Employee IDs that have both numbers and letters.

For example, there might be a user with the Employee ID of C12345. 

I just want to be able to input C12345 without receiving an error, and have C12345 saved to the Employee ID Number field in the associated SPO list.

Please let me know if I am still not making sense. Thanks so much!

Super User
Super User

The error in the screenshot appears to be coming from SharePoint. So @ThatAPIGuy,  wants you to check and see what type of column is being used in SharePoint for this PowerApps field. Maybe it would be easier to take a screenshot of the List setting page where it list all the column names.

nealhicks1

@ThatAPIGuy, that was it. The columns in SPO were still the "Number" type. I changed them to Text, and then I recreated the fields within PowerApps, and now everything is working.

Can't thank you enough for thinking to check that. I really appreciate it. 🙂 Going to mark your post as the solution, also.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,309)