cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instead of StartsWith, what about Contains

I am modifying an out of the box search field which then filters the gallery. The data is imported by an SPO data connection (list).

In the gallery I have:

SortByColumns(Filter(ControlRoomContacts, StartsWith(Title, TextSearchBox1.Text)), "COMPANY", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending))

So the StartsWith function then looks within the Title field but it only looks for a search that starts with. For example:

If someone searches for  Library, it will only find something in the Title field that STARTS WITH library. What if I want it to search in the title field for something like Cafe Library instead?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Meneghino
Level 10

Re: Instead of StartsWith, what about Contains

Hi @cardinalpipkin, you can use the in operator

This operator is not yet delegated for SP lists so you will only query the first 500 records

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Meneghino
Level 10

Hi @cardinalpipkin, you can use the in operator

This operator is not yet delegated for SP lists so you will only query the first 500 records

View solution in original post

That's great thanks.

AdamGill
Level 8

Hi - I would very much appreciate an example of this solution, where the suggestion is to replace "StartsWith" with the "in" Operator. In my example:

SortByColumns(Filter('DataSource', StartsWith(FieldName000, TextSearchBox1.Text)), "FieldName000", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending))

How would I correctly replace "StartsWith" with the "in" Operator, so that using this expression searches the whole of FieldName000 for any input entered in TextSearchBox1.Text - instead of it only checking the Start of the Field for a match?

Thanks!

Highlighted
rabiawilliams
Level: Powered On

Hey there check this sample code to replace StartsWith with in

ClearCollect(Contacts, SortByColumns(Filter(Office365.ContactGetItems(DropdownContact.Selected.Value).value, TextInputSearchContact.Text in DisplayName), "DisplayName"))

Cheers,

AdamGill
Level 8

Thanks - I will give it a try!

SoorajDathan

Try search instead of filter

SortByColumns(Search(ControlRoomContacts,  TextSearchBox1.Text, Title)), "COMPANY", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending))

gadrummer

Hi,

I am looking for a little help.  I have a gallery and it is working as it is meant to, however, i kinda need it not to work as it should.  What i need is for it not to show all the list from the search (filter)  What i need is to enter the employee number at the search and not to show everyone when the box  is empty.  i need it to only show the person who's number is typed in after it is typed in.  This is the code i have on the Items:

Filter(Employees, StartsWith(Cal, TextSearchBox1_1.Text))

Any help would be great.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,896)