Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aurora
Helper III
Helper III

Integrate MS Project into a dropdown

Hi all, 

I'm developing an app to track hours worked on various projects, and am wondering if I can use MS Project as a data source in  dropdowns for selecting projects and subtasks in those projects. My app currently has the list of projects integrated another way, however I am wondering if by using projects I'll be able to get each subtask for each project in a subsequent dropdown. Projects is already in heavy use at my company, and has a large amount of tasks and subtasks in it. 

Any advice or feedback is appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BCLS776
Super User
Super User

Awesome, try the following settings to get your two dropdowns working:

DropDown1:

Items - Microsoft Projects_PROJECTS

Value - ProjectName

DropDown2:

Items: Depends on DropDown1

Matching Field: Microsoft Project_TASKS and ProjectName

You'll see that a Filter() statement gets constructed in DropDown2's Items that looks something like: 

Filter('Microsoft Project_TASKS', ProjectName = DropDown1.Selected.ProjectName)

This will show only the tasks that match the selected Project Name from the first dropdown.

Hope that helps,

Bryan

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
BCLS776
Super User
Super User

You can integrate a lot of Planner functionality into an app using the connector. See the documentation. Depending on the experience you need for your app, it sounds like you will be doing a lot of List Plans, List Tasks, List Task Details types of queries. Try it out and see what kinds of info you can pull into your app.

Bryan

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Aurora
Helper III
Helper III

I need integration with Project Online, not Planner. I've been going through the Project Online Documentation that Microsoft has posted, but I am still struggling to import my projects into a dropdown or combo box. 

Project Online - Connectors | Microsoft Docs

BCLS776
Super User
Super User

Ah, in that case you are after the Dataverse tables that are used by Project itself. Have a look at Power Apps main page in the Data-Tables area:

BCLS776_0-1631548654320.png

Tables whose name start with Project are specific to MS Projects. You can access Dataverse tables much like any data source in Power Apps, but be aware that premium licencing may be required.

If you find a specific table and column you want to load into a dropdown, let us know and we can help you do that.

Hope that helps,

Bryan

Aurora
Helper III
Helper III

My boss is fairly certain that we need to use SharePoint to access the data in PowerApps. Apparently, we are not using Project Online but are using Project Web App (PWA). We have a few projects in Project Online but they aren't important for my current task, and I am unable to find the list of project data I need in Dataverse. I'll include an image of what my screen looks like in Project to see if that helps at all. 

Basically I should have one drop down that displays the "Project Name" column, and then another dropdown that lists the planned tasks under each project. 

Thanks!

I found a useful diagram of the Project architecture. From that, we should be able to narrow down which data you are after. Have a look at let us know if that helps you distinguish what you are looking for.

Other than connecting to Sharepoint lists, I personally don't know much about how other Project-related data is stored on Sharepoint. Hopefully, others who know more will jump in.

Bryan

Aurora
Helper III
Helper III

I now have two tables in Dataverse that can update at certain increments based on changes made in Projects, now I just need the dropdown functionality inserted. One table is a list of projects, the other table is a list of tasks associated with all the possible projects. I need tasks to appear in the second dropdown that are related to the selected project in the first dropdown. Would I start by creating a relationship between the tables or can I jump straight to a dependency? 

Images included

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture3.PNG

   

BCLS776
Super User
Super User

Awesome, try the following settings to get your two dropdowns working:

DropDown1:

Items - Microsoft Projects_PROJECTS

Value - ProjectName

DropDown2:

Items: Depends on DropDown1

Matching Field: Microsoft Project_TASKS and ProjectName

You'll see that a Filter() statement gets constructed in DropDown2's Items that looks something like: 

Filter('Microsoft Project_TASKS', ProjectName = DropDown1.Selected.ProjectName)

This will show only the tasks that match the selected Project Name from the first dropdown.

Hope that helps,

Bryan

View solution in original post

This should be my last question - what would need to be done with these two new tables to get the same result? In between responses we changed a few columns in the tables so the drop down options better reflect what we want the end user to see. We want the project dropdown to show " Project Identifier and Name" and the task dropdown to display "Project Name and Task Name"

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

I don't believe there is currently a relationship between tables. 

Thank you for the help!

Aurora
Helper III
Helper III

I am currently unable to add a data source to my task dropdown (Now named Dropdown3). I am struggling to figure out why. 

Capture.PNG

I am unable to click on add data source 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,592)