cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Is PowerApps good to use for data entry.

Hi, 

I would like to know, Is PowerApps capable to use as Data Entry tool within organization, Where Hundreds(Between 200-300) of users entering, Saving and retrieving data from PowerApps (Connected to SQL Server).

Another Question, Will Indexes on SQL Server table helps in PowerApps in terms of filtering and searching.

@Shanescows Could you help me to understand on this.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Is PowerApps good to use for data entry.

Hi SudoPowerUser,

PowerApps is client-connection based, so the primary limitation should be on the data source - (there are no known concurrency limits with PA, you can have as many PowerApps users running an app as you can have licensed users).

SQL as a source is more than capable of handling hundreds or even thousands of connections (32700 odd concurrent if I recall) so you should be fine with 300.  If you are sharing the server with others or expect to start reaching much higher numbers, you may want to understand more of how your source handles connection pooling.

Secondly, in my experience properly defined and managed Indexes will always help with filtering and searching regardless of what client you're using.  If you know which columns you're planning on filtering from PowerApps you can focus on these as primary indexes - and considering you should be delegating your filter queries to SQL it's really all about helping the source return the most relevant data as fast as possible.

Lastly, I find PowerApps logic super handy and friendly for both front-end and back-end pre-validation - which is important for first-time data capture accuracy and compliance to the back-end data structures. 

Personally, I'd say you're off to a good start using PA with SQL, but I have to confess that I'm biased towards PowerApps to begin with, so take that as it comes 🙂

Kind regards,

RT

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,022)