cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Is PowerApps with a Office365 License work for my app?

I'm about to build an app using Excel/Sharepoint as a database. It is intented to be used by around 500 persons, max 120 people at the same time. Totalt number of entrys into Sharepoint/Excel will be around 10 000 posts per year. Is powerapps capable of handling this or should I upgrade my license and work with SQL or CDS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is PowerApps with a Office365 License work for my app?

Hi @Johwe32

To use Azure SQL Connector in PowerApps you do not need PowerApps Plan 1 or Plan 2 license, regular Office365 Enterprise plan is enough.

If you say it will be around 10,000 records per year I strongly suggest SQL, because it has a lot more delegable functions and works smoother than SharePoint List. For some reason I always have trouble with Apps connected with SharePoint List where sometimes they update correctly sometimes they just don’t. I have rarely had problems with my apps that use Azure SQL Database.

You cannot use Excel since at this version of PowerApps you can use maximum of 2,000 rows from excel table.

You could use CDS, however then every user that will use your app will require PowerApps Plan1. For 500 people that would be around $2,500 USD/month.

More on delegation

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Johwe32

To use Azure SQL Connector in PowerApps you do not need PowerApps Plan 1 or Plan 2 license, regular Office365 Enterprise plan is enough.

If you say it will be around 10,000 records per year I strongly suggest SQL, because it has a lot more delegable functions and works smoother than SharePoint List. For some reason I always have trouble with Apps connected with SharePoint List where sometimes they update correctly sometimes they just don’t. I have rarely had problems with my apps that use Azure SQL Database.

You cannot use Excel since at this version of PowerApps you can use maximum of 2,000 rows from excel table.

You could use CDS, however then every user that will use your app will require PowerApps Plan1. For 500 people that would be around $2,500 USD/month.

More on delegation

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for a quick and thorough reply!

Does sharepoint have the same limits as excel, 2 000 records?

On the topic of Azure SQL connector, I guess the Azure SQL Database is not included in the Office 365 license I have?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

SharePoint does support delegation (however very basic) so you can have PowerApps with SharePoint List as Data Store and have more than 2,000 records.

Azure Services are separate Microsoft product and you will have to order it. However simple Azure SQL database are quite cheap ($10/month).

Azure SQL Connector in PowerApps is free and come with Office 365 license.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm trying to find the app you are referring to as Azure SQL Connector. I can't find it in Powerapps under connections. Does it go by another name, Azure SQL Data Warehouse?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Johwe32

Sorry for being confusing. The connector is called just "SQL Server"

1.png

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I came up with another question.... Do you know if all users of the app will be able to access the SQL database from outside the app, as with a sharepoint-list?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Johwe32

If you create an app in Default environment and share the SQL Connector with your users. Then the users will be able to use your SQL connector in the apps they create themselves. They can add the SQL connector and manipulate any data without using the app you created.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply. 

So basically there is no way to prevent users of the app from seeing all data?

The app I'm building is a like the Help Desk app that is a template. Since GDPR came in effect a month ago I only want the users to access their own posts.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you create a new environment (you will need PowerApps Plan 2 license) and create your apps there. Other people will be able to use the app (With basic PowerApps for Office 365 Plan), however they will not be able to create apps there (unless you allow them to). This way they will not be able to bypass your app and access the data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,454)