cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martinav
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Is ShowColumns() subject to delegation with a sharepoint source?

I have a rather complex sharepoint list for which I only want to pull a few columns from.  The list is over 2,000 rows.  This statement works fine:

ForAll(Distinct(UpdatePartNumbers,MD_PartNumber).Result,Collect(UpdatedFromMDL2,LookUp(Master_Drawing_List,MD_PartNumber=Result))

However, this statement works, but there are missing items.  There is NO delegation warning, howerver:

ForAll(Distinct(UpdatePartNumbers,MD_PartNumber).Result,Collect(UpdatedFromMDL,LookUp(AddColumns(ShowColumns(Master_Drawing_List,"ID","MD_PartNumber","MD_Project","MD_LatestRevNumber","MD_DrawingRevDate","MD_EngrgRelDate","Title","MD_PDM_Link","MD_LinkToDrawing","MD_IsActive","MD_Data_Flagged","MD_Latest_SW_DocumentID"),"LastCost",Blank(), "OnHand",Blank(), "Available", Blank(), "Location_Acct", Blank(), "Discontinued_Acct", Blank(),"Acct_Bom", Blank())

The only difference is the ShowColumns.  I would like to avoid pulling in all of the extra data, and then the time it takes to parse it down to the columns I want after the fact in a subsequent Collect() statement.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@martinav 

ShowColumns cannot be delegated.  (nor, AddColumns, RemoveColumns, or DropColumns)

I believe (never saw or really took note) that the magical blue squigglies only come out on operators, not on functions. So you would not see that showing a warning.

Hope that clears it up some.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@martinav 

ShowColumns cannot be delegated.  (nor, AddColumns, RemoveColumns, or DropColumns)

I believe (never saw or really took note) that the magical blue squigglies only come out on operators, not on functions. So you would not see that showing a warning.

Hope that clears it up some.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

@RandyHayes ,

Figures...  More wasted hours...

So, I have to collect ALL rows, then parse it down in another collection.  

@martinav 

Pretty much that if you are dealing with a delegation issue and there is no way to delegate the query elsewhere (i.e. a View in SQL), then you are going to have to suck down all the records and do your own filtering or other actions.

Since your source is SharePoint, there's not much more you can do to resolve it...unless you try to connect to Azure Functions and delegate to them - but, I hear the can opener running...a new can of worms is now open.

Yea, I wont be messing with that.  Generally, the number of records returned is not going to be more than a few.  I can deal with the excess for this case.  Thanks for your replies.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (49,223)