cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is delegation possible when patching an existing SharePoint item?

It seems that when patching an existing SharePoint item, the "First" function (which is non-delagable) is required to identify only one record. Is anyone aware of a delagable method to patch a record? I am trying to scale-up an app that would connect to a SharePoint list that I anticipate could have >10,000 items. Thanks for any help!

Background: I created an app that allows students to write practice questions, practice and rate questions created by other students, earn points for highly-rateq questions they authored and answering questions correctly, etc (see attached for some documentation if interested). It works well for one course, but I was hoping to make it available to the University by adding a course ID.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

You can use Lookup(), Filter(), "= ", and StartsWith() in Sharepoint as these are all delegatable functions and should be sufficient to identify a unique record to Patch.  Sharepoint automatically creates a Primary key (ID) for every list and that can be filtered in a Patch() function. The syntax for editing a record is Patch( DataSource, BaseRecord, ChangeRecord1 [, ChangeRecord2, … ]).  So for example, a BaseRecord can by found by Lookup(Datasource, ID = Gallery.Selected.ID) without worrying about delegation. 

Tip: Remember to index searchable columns in large Sharepoint lists, {I believe that the ID column is automatically indexed).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

You can use Lookup(), Filter(), "= ", and StartsWith() in Sharepoint as these are all delegatable functions and should be sufficient to identify a unique record to Patch.  Sharepoint automatically creates a Primary key (ID) for every list and that can be filtered in a Patch() function. The syntax for editing a record is Patch( DataSource, BaseRecord, ChangeRecord1 [, ChangeRecord2, … ]).  So for example, a BaseRecord can by found by Lookup(Datasource, ID = Gallery.Selected.ID) without worrying about delegation. 

Tip: Remember to index searchable columns in large Sharepoint lists, {I believe that the ID column is automatically indexed).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, @Drrickryp! I had no idea you could use LookUp within a Patch to identify the record. DMTWD (Dumped my trunks with delight)!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,803)