cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kkpasi
Regular Visitor

Is displaying a list of tables from DB possible in Power Apps then double-click and open a table?

Good morning everyone,

I am currently working on an app that will have to display a list of tables coming from a Database.

Based on the search criteria, the user will need to be able to filter the list as per his/her needs and receive an updated list of table(s).

Then by clicking on the desired table it should open in a full format for the user to use the data it contains.

My questions are:

1. Can an app created in Power Apps be connected to a Database and display a list of ALL tables (probably hundreds) dynamically listed there?
  2. Then to double-click the desired table and without having to manually connect each table to let's say a "Data Table" or a "Gallery" to display it fully?

Up until now I haven't been able to find documentation or examples of this being done dynamically in the way described above, so I would appreciate any help!

I welcome any other solutions/ideas!

Please let me know if more information is needed on my part.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@kkpasi 

No, you cannot do this in PowerApps.  In PowerApps you must declare all the tables you are going to work with and connect to them in the app.

You cannot then reference a table by textual name - for example:  Filter("myTableName", ...)  is not allowed.  You would first need to connect myTableName into the app and then it is an accessible source and would then be referenced like with Filter(myTableName, ...)

So, dynamically listing tables and then selecting them to open is not available in PowerApps.

There are some potential options, but you need to decide (since you mention you have hundreds of tables) if you are going to take the effort to include them all in your app (which could be fairly bad on performance).

It seems that you are looking for more of a generic database tool...that would not be an App!

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@kkpasi 

No, you cannot do this in PowerApps.  In PowerApps you must declare all the tables you are going to work with and connect to them in the app.

You cannot then reference a table by textual name - for example:  Filter("myTableName", ...)  is not allowed.  You would first need to connect myTableName into the app and then it is an accessible source and would then be referenced like with Filter(myTableName, ...)

So, dynamically listing tables and then selecting them to open is not available in PowerApps.

There are some potential options, but you need to decide (since you mention you have hundreds of tables) if you are going to take the effort to include them all in your app (which could be fairly bad on performance).

It seems that you are looking for more of a generic database tool...that would not be an App!

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

@RandyHayes 

This is what I suspected.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions, I appreciate it!

Have a good one!

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@kkpasi 

No problem!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,429)