cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is it possible to create a full ERP/CRM solution using the Power Platform?

(Sorry if this is the wrong forum but wasn't sure exactly where to ask.)

Hello everyone, 

I have been administrating Office 365 for about 3 years and have built a handful of Power Automate Flows as well as Power Apps. 

I'm really enjoying everything the power platform has to offer so far and have decided to start working towards some certifications as well. 

After looking at all the tools available between Power Automate, Business Process Flows, Power Apps, SharePoint, and the CDS - I am wondering if it could be possible (although ambitious) to build out and entire ERP/CRM solution similar to Dynamics 365 using only the Power Platform? In other words, as I learn more about the Power Platform, it looks more and more like it is simply the tools that were used to create the Dynamics 365 products... and that is basically what you are paying for when you purchase Dynamics. (Note- I have not actually used Dynamics 365 myself so my knowledge about it is limited to a conceptual understanding that is a suite of ERP/CRM tools.) 

I would love if someone with more experience could shed some light on the fundamental differences that I may not be considering. 

Thanks! =D

-Dusty

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

It could be done, but its a lot more work than it appears.  Some of the critical CDS entities that relate to doing CRM are restricted in terms of their use specifically to prevent people from writing their own front end to CRM and bypassing Dynamics CRM licensing.  So you would need to create ALL the entities for a CRM system yourself from scratch.  It could be done, but its not worth the effort.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

i think this may be a case of, just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be. If by ERP/CRM you mean like the likes of SAP/ Oracle/Dynamics then i would say don't even try it wont be worth the effort. 

Building requires maintaining and adding features etc, the entire lifecycle must be kept. If an ERP is needed get one. If some functionality is required, do the requirement and cost/benefit analysis and move from there. 

Power platform is great but it does have its limitation 😉 i think you just named one :). 

ps i like your way of thinking tho. 

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

It could be done, but its a lot more work than it appears.  Some of the critical CDS entities that relate to doing CRM are restricted in terms of their use specifically to prevent people from writing their own front end to CRM and bypassing Dynamics CRM licensing.  So you would need to create ALL the entities for a CRM system yourself from scratch.  It could be done, but its not worth the effort.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for your response! 

Yeah- this is what I thought might be the case.... Ill have to keep that in mind as I develop solutions in the future. No need to reinvent the wheel as they say. haha

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,103)