cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aimthedame
Resolver I
Resolver I

Is it possible to save pics to the users device?

I have an app that uses the camera control to snap pics and add them to the appropriate folder of a SharePoint Library. A few of my users have expressed a wish to save the pics on their phones. Are my choices to save data only SharePoint and OneDrive?

11 REPLIES 11
gabibalaban
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@Aimthedame ,

If you managed to save the pic in a Sharepoint library or in user's OneDrive, you can send it also as attachment via email. After that, the user can download the attach to his/her mobile device. 

Hope it helps !

That's an option but I'm looking for a more direct route. I know my users are not going to want the extra step of getting it in email and then downloading attachments.

WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Aimthedame ,

Power apps either "takes over" the camera where the image is available in Power Apps or the camera function on the device takes the photo and stores it on the device. Power apps data is "cloud" based and has no access to the local device storage other than the SaveData for offline storage, but this does not really help as the only way to access this is from Power Apps (through LoadData).
As @gabibalaban has suggested, you can email it back, but you cannot store a Power Apps Camera Control captured image locally. You can however do the reverse (which my users often do) and take a photo on the device camera and then use the "Add Picture" control to upload it to Power Apps (I give them both options). I have a blog on the methods for both.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

The original purpose of this app is to save the pics to a SharePoint library. After it's saved there, can I download it? I've been trying (without success) and am not sure if my use of the Download() function isn't possible or if I just haven't figured out the correct path.

@Aimthedame ,

You can of course download from SharePoint directly. You can also try this

Download("https://xxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/xxxx/" & ThisItem.'Full Path')

and see what it does on a mobile device.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Aimthedame ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Aimthedame
Resolver I
Resolver I

I was finally able to get back to my project and I tested it with the Microsoft example (Download( "https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=827480" )) and it didn't work either. I see the little marching ants at the top of the screen but it doesn't ask me where I want to save the file nor can I find the file anywhere on my Galaxy S21. I tested the url and it still works when pasted in my browser. Is there anything else I can try or is it time to give up?

@Aimthedame ,

I cannot test on a Galaxy, but the download option works for me on an iPad

I tested it on my iPad and a coworkers iPhone and it works. It lets you choose where you want to save the file. I only see the marching ants at the top of the screen on my Android. Anyone have any ideas about that?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,272)