cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is powerapps the right approach for me?

Hi all - I have zero experience in PowerApps, looking for some input on it's capabilities

I've got a few macros that I've written for Desktop Outlook, with local deployment to a small group (because I personally installed the macros for them). However, those macros are not available in web-based Outlook, nor the mobile app for our company phones (both iPhones and Android).

If I wanted to re-develop the functionality in a way that would be available anytime any of us are using Outlook (without opening a separate app), can PowerApps do that (and if not, is there any other technology that can)?

Things like:

• Scan a draft email for specific company and project keywords before sending a message, pop up a warning/confirmation dialogue if needed
  • If an NDA project is named in an email or invite, ping a live database on a company server to make sure the recipients are covered by the appropriate NDAs, otherwise pop up a warning/confirmation dialogue
  • When sending a meeting invite, compare invitees to a project team roster on a server and pop up a dialogue box indicating which project team members are not on the invite list (teams that don't have their own distribution groups, and may change membership frequently)
  • When setting up a meeting, automatically forward a room reservation request to building services

etc.

I appreciate your input/feedback! My goal is to develop functionality that feels 'native' in outlook, as I can't ensure that everyone will load a separate app every time they are using email on various devices (or even that they will install a separate app on various devices to run in the background, for example if they are accessing outlook via a desktop at a friend's house). I just don't know anything about PowerApps yet, and would like some expert feedback on whether this is possible in PowerApps so I don't end up frustrated later if it can't do what I need. 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Is powerapps the right approach for me?

@KERATL

Your main question is:

If I wanted to re-develop the functionality in a way that would be available anytime any of us are using Outlook (without opening a separate app), can PowerApps do that (and if not, is there any other technology that can)?

The answer is:  no.  The functionality of PowerApps cannot be used in Outlook without opening a separate app.

I do not have any alternatives for you to try.  My expertise is not with Outlook Online.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Is powerapps the right approach for me?

Hi @KERATL 

@mdevaney is correct in that it isn't possible to integrate with Outlook with a Canvas app.

But with a Model Driven app, we can use this technique for Outlook integration.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/model-driven-apps/app-for-outlook-customize 

I think you could achieve a fair chunk of your requirements. I don't have too much experience of doing this type of integration, so hopefully, someone else here can give you a more knowledgeable answer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,756)