cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dlabar
Level 8

Is there a methodology for getting a Canvas App's name?

I have the main version of my app in Prod, and a "Canary" version.  We push to the Canary version a few days ahead of time, and if there are no issues, we then push the same version over to the main version.  So their is nothing in the app itself that determines if it is the canary version or the real version, but I'd like to display to the end user that they are using the canary version, so that when when they send photos of their tablets, I know it's the canary version.  The easiest way I can think of would be to read the name or the GUID of the app, but I'm not seeing how that's possible.  So currently I'm flagging users in my Database as Canary users, and they have access to the canary version only, but some have both, so it's not fool proof.

Any options? 

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

Re: Is there a methodology for getting a Canvas App's name?

I am sure there is a better way to do it but I would simply add a label in the footer of the screens in the canary version that denotes something like "Canary V1.0".

Let me know if this helps.

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos. And if this solves your problem, please accept this reply as the solution.

Thanks!
Hardit Bhatia
The Power Addict
https://thepoweraddict.com
Dlabar
Level 8

You don't understand the issue @PowerAddict, the app is exactly the same.  I can't manually go in and update a label each time I publish to say, this is canary.  Currently the setting has to be driven from my data source, but I was hoping there was some way to figure out the App Id, or the App name so I didn't have to try and make sure my data source was configured correctly.  

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@Dlabar
What if you used the PowerApps for App Makers connector?

PowerAppsforAppMakers.GetApp(Right(Param("appId"), 36)).properties.displayName

—-
Please Accept as Solution if this post answered your question so others may find it more quickly.
If you found this post helpful consider giving it a Thumbs Up.
Super User
Super User

@mdevaney beat me to it! That's the solution right there!
Super User
Super User

@PowerAddict
I wouldn’t normally want to jump in when someone else is already solving but he asked me on Twitter 😉
Super User
Super User

Haha, you jumping in almost always (if not always) leads to something better, so all good!
Dlabar
Level 8

Unfortunately @mdevaney, this does not work for me on Tablets or or in the Studio Editor.  The method to get the App Id doesn't work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,478)