cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

Is there a way that two Canvas apps are working together, for example global variable valid for both apps?

Hey guys,

I've got a general question and I'm not able to find it anywhere.

Is it possible that I have two Canvas apps that are working together?

What I mean is that two apps are seen as one app and variables are recognized in both apps for example.

Because I'd like to have two views. One for HR who have a different view than the normal staff.

Thanks so much for helping!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Re: Is there a way that two Canvas apps are working together, for example global variable valid for both apps?

Hi @ThePowerAppsGuy ,

Based on your requirement, I would recommend to have 2 screens in the same app. Variables are shared across the screens and you can display appropriate screen based on your variable.

Regards,

Pawan

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Is there a way that two Canvas apps are working together, for example global variable valid for both apps?

If you are duplicating one or two screens that will be fine but if duplicate many screens, it will be unproductive. Rather hide the control on the screen based on the group

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

You can duplicate the App and rename one as HR.

Alternatively,

If by view you mean colors, you can change the fill color of the screen based on the user group wherever HR or other group

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hey @eka24,

So, if I duplicate the app, does one app will know about the existence from another app? So, for example, if I set a variable in one app, that this variable will be known from the other app just simply by renaming the app?

With view I mean, HR has another code than the rest of the staff. But both apps should work together.

Thanks for your reply.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

With the two App variables will be different so that may not be best for you.

Each when opened by a particular user is for that user. You may have to explain what you want HR to do that other should not.

Opening same app twice is possible but each variable will work independently not based on the fact that it has been opened twice.

------------

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @ThePowerAppsGuy ,

Based on your requirement, I would recommend to have 2 screens in the same app. Variables are shared across the screens and you can display appropriate screen based on your variable.

Regards,

Pawan

Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

@pawanjajoo

Ohhh yes. Of course. Quite simple. And you can hide the one screen depending on the user/user group?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

If you are duplicating one or two screens that will be fine but if duplicate many screens, it will be unproductive. Rather hide the control on the screen based on the group

------------

Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

@eka24

@pawanjajoo

I see. Thank you very much for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,308)