cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meganpay149
Helper I
Helper I

Is there any way to link newly created columns in a sharepoint to text boxes/toggle buttons on powerapps form?

Is there any way to link newly created columns in a sharepoint to text boxes/toggle buttons on powerapps form?

I am trying to create a questionnaire and want the responses to be recorded for traceability purposes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
timl
Super User
Super User

@meganpay149 
I'd suggest it might be easier for you to start again and to use a form control, as this would provide an easier way for you to build something that users could use to both add and edit existing records.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/maker/canvas-apps/controls/control-form-detail

If you want to use your existing controls to add a new record to a data source, you would call the patch function.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/power-platform/power-fx/reference/function-patch

To edit an existing record, you would need to write additional formula to populate the controls with data, and then call the Patch function to update the record. With a form control, you would avoid this additional work.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
timl
Super User
Super User

@meganpay149 

If you have an existing form and you want to retrospectively add new fields that you've added to your SharePoint list, you can do this by first refreshing the data source in the data panel. You can then select your form control, click the 'fields' link in the properties pane, and select the new fields that you want to add.

I have already added all the toggle buttons + text boxes and then I added the columns to the sharepoint, is there any way to link the two without having to add in all new toggle buttons?

BCBuizer
Super User
Super User

HI @meganpay149 ,

You can add datacards to your form by selecting the form, then clicking Edit Fields, Add Field and then selecting the field(s) you want to add:

BCBuizer_0-1660133721783.png

In case the newly added field is not listed, you have to refresh your data source. This can be done by clicking on the ellipsis (...) next to  the data source and then clicking Refresh:

BCBuizer_1-1660133851014.png

Did you like my post? Please give it a thumbs up! Did I resolve your issue? Please click Accept as Solution to close the topic and so other members of the community can find solutions more easily.
timl
Super User
Super User

@meganpay149 - Did you add the toggle buttons and text boxes onto a Form control? Or did you add the toggle buttons and text boxes directly onto the screen?

I added them to a scrollable page so I think they are all in a datacard? sorry if this doesn't make any sense, I'm new to powerapps 🙂

timl
Super User
Super User

@meganpay149 
I'd suggest it might be easier for you to start again and to use a form control, as this would provide an easier way for you to build something that users could use to both add and edit existing records.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/maker/canvas-apps/controls/control-form-detail

If you want to use your existing controls to add a new record to a data source, you would call the patch function.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/power-platform/power-fx/reference/function-patch

To edit an existing record, you would need to write additional formula to populate the controls with data, and then call the Patch function to update the record. With a form control, you would avoid this additional work.

I'll try this, thank you very much!

timl
Super User
Super User

You're welcome @meganpay149 - I'd also add that when you add a form control, you may be able to copy and paste what you've done into the form cards, so the work you've done may not be completely wasted!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,518)